Applying for English Universities

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of obtaining information about applying to a university in England while residing in Sweden. The individual missed the deadline for this year, but plans to study pure math in Sweden and then apply for a full physics program in England. They ask for tips on where to start and the conversation mentions contacting universities and using the UCAS system. The websites for UK universities are described as confusing and it is recommended to seek more information on studying in the UK for international students through the UCAS website.
Kurret
Hello!
Right now I am thinking of applying to a university in England, but it is really difficult to obtain any information about how to apply here in Sweden. I have checked out Cambridges website, but it really doesn't make much sense their either. Because of the lack of information, I missed the deadline for applying this year, so I will probably study pure math for a year in Sweden and then start a full program in physics, hopefully in England. So does anyone have any tips on where I should start, ie what information I should have, who I should contact etc.?
Any help would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you write to any of the Universities asking for deadlines, application forms, etc.?

No i didnt, so I guess I have myself to blame, but since the deadlines for Swedish Universities are much later, I just didnt think of that in time. I kind of assumed that my school would give at least some information on these kinds of important things long time before the deadlines.
I think the websites are just a mess, they feel like a labyrinth and I can't really find any usable information, so well emailing them is probably the only choice I have left.

Admission to UK universities occurs through a system called UCAS. This is basically a system that collates your data gives you options over which universities you want to apply for, the maximum being six, and the courses you want to take. UCAS then forwards your details to the universities who then decide whether to give you offers. More information about studying in the UK for international students can be found here..

http://www.ucas.com/students/nonukstudents/

Last edited by a moderator:

What are the requirements for applying to English universities?

The requirements for applying to English universities vary depending on the specific university and program. Generally, applicants are required to have completed a high school education or equivalent, meet certain academic requirements, and demonstrate proficiency in the English language. Some programs may also have specific subject requirements or additional exams, such as the SAT or ACT.

Do I need to take the IELTS or TOEFL exam to apply to English universities?

Yes, most English universities require international applicants to take either the IELTS or TOEFL exam to demonstrate their proficiency in the English language. However, some universities may also accept other English language qualifications, so it is important to check the specific requirements of each university.

When is the application deadline for English universities?

The application deadline for English universities varies depending on the specific university and program. Generally, the application period for undergraduate programs opens in September or October and closes in January or February. However, some universities may have earlier or later deadlines, so it is important to check the specific deadlines for each university.

What documents do I need to submit when applying to English universities?

Along with the application form, most English universities require international applicants to submit academic transcripts, English language test scores, reference letters, and a personal statement. Some programs may also require additional documents, such as a portfolio for art or design programs. It is important to carefully review the requirements of each university and program before submitting your application.

Can I apply to multiple English universities at the same time?

Yes, you can apply to multiple English universities at the same time. However, each university may have its own application process and requirements, so it is important to carefully review and follow the instructions for each university. Additionally, there may be application fees for each university that you apply to.