1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Applying Limits to Find the Vertical Asymptote

1. Nov 25, 2008 #1
    Sorry to be a bother at this time around. I have a question though about a wierd looking function : e^(6-2x) + 5. (The 5 is outside of the parenthesis, so it is a coefficient, not an exponent). I am interested in seeing how to use limits to construct its graph. In particular, I want to find out what it looks like to the left of 3. (Its vertical asymptote in short)

y - intercepts

y = e^(6) + 5

(0, e^(6) + 5)

x - intercepts

0 = e^(6) / e^(2x) + 5

-5e^(2x) = e^(6)

Since natural logging it would give an undefined answer there is no x-intercept. At x --> infinity (e^(6)/ e^(2x) + 5) tends to 5. Then the horizontal asymptote is 5.

Applying the derivative test, e^(6-2x) + 5 becomes (-2)e^(6-2x) + 5. Its only critical point or when f'(x) = 0 is at x = 3. Evaluating at x=2 and x=4 it appears to have negative values indicating that the function is decreasing. When x = 3 is put back into the original f(x) it gives 5, indicating that the asymptote starts at 3.

Since the horizontal asymptote starts at x = 3. At x --> 3- (e^(6-2x) + 5) = + infinity. The function from the left of 3 is a monotic function because like stated before, the MVT says that at f'(c) = 0 and the only critical point is at x = 3 so it is safe to assume that it has either an increasing or decreasing pattern.

I know that at x = 3 it has a HA = 5, but how can you find the exact point where the function begins to to "blow up" vertically?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

NO. The derivative of "5" is 0.

Again, no. Even using your "derivative", if x= 3, 6- 2x= 0 but -3e0+ 5= 3, not 0. f'= -2e6- 2x is never 0.

you can't- it doesn't. There is NO vertical asymptote.

4. Nov 25, 2008 #3
    Hi Halls,

Thanks for catching the derivative error I made. I did put the function in an online graphing calculator and did see a vertical asymptote.

http://www.coolmath.com/graphit/

5. Nov 25, 2008 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

That's not a vertical asymptote. A vertical asymptote is a line, x = a, where a is some finite number. On either side of this line the graph of a function becomes unbounded in some way (i.e., approaches infinity or negative infinity).

Your exponential function grows very large as x becomes negative. What you probably saw was the graph getting very steep for some negative value of x. In a similar way, the graph of, say, f(x) = x^3 gets pretty steep for large values of x, but it too does not have a vertical asymptote.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?