What is the Limit Definition for Proving a Function Approaches 0?

In summary, a first-year calculus student is struggling to understand a problem related to a function approaching 0 at a number between 0 and 1. They provide a diagram and solution from the textbook but are looking for a simpler explanation. The proof involves considering numbers that could make the statement false and choosing a delta value so that the function is smaller than 1/n except possibly at the given number. The author notes that it is not necessary to have a formula for delta in terms of epsilon.
freshlikeuhh
Hi. I'm a first-year calculus student and I'm fairly behind with my work. The transition is tough and when i read my textbook, I don't fully absorb everything. I thought I would post an example problem whose solution I do not follow completely, since it is fairly important in the scope of things.

I have provided a diagram for this problem and the solution provided by the author. If anyone would be able to explain to me in simpler terms how the conclusion was reached, I would greatly appreciate it.

EDIT: I have previewed my post and found some very weird issues when trying to use LaTeX, so I have removed the [tex [/tex] brackets, since everything displayed very improperly. I am not very experienced with LaTeX, so there may be something I am doing wrong, so if anyone could point that out, I will gladly fix up the presentation of my post.

But here is the problem:

http://i.imgur.com/nDyAv.jpg

For any number a, with 0 < a < 1, the function f approaches 0 at a. To prove this, consider any number \epsilon > 0. Let n be a natural number so large that \frac{1}{n} \leq \epsilon. Notice that the only numbers x for which |f(x) = 0| < \epsilon could be false are

\frac{1}{2}; \frac{1}{3}, \frac{2}{3}; \frac{1}{4}, \frac{3}{4}...; \frac{1}{n},...,\frac{n-1}{n}

(If a is rational, then a might be one of these numbers.) However many of these numbers there may be, there are, at any rate, only finitely many. Therefore, of all these numbers, one is closest to a; that is, |p/q - a| is smallest for one p/q among these numbers. (If a happens to be one of these numbers, then consider only the values |p/q - a| for p/q \neq a. This closest distance may be chosen as the \delta. For if 0 < |x-a| < \delta, then x is not one of

\frac{1}{2},...,\frac{n-1}{n} and therefore |f(x)-0| < \epsilon. This completes the proof. Note that our description of the delta which works for a given epsilon is completely adequate - there is no reason why we must give a formula for delta in terms of epsilon.

Physics news on Phys.org
freshlikeuhh said:
For any number a, with 0 < a < 1, the function f approaches 0 at a. To prove this, consider any number [tex]\epsilon > 0[/tex]. Let n be a natural number so large that

[tex]\frac{1}{n} \leq \epsilon[/tex].

Notice that the only numbers x for which [tex]|f(x) = 0| < \epsilon[/tex] could be false are

[tex]\frac{1}{2}; \frac{1}{3}, \frac{2}{3}; \frac{1}{4}, \frac{3}{4}...; \frac{1}{n},...,\frac{n-1}{n}[/tex]

(If a is rational, then a might be one of these numbers.) However many of these numbers there may be, there are, at any rate, only finitely many. Therefore, of all these numbers, one is closest to a; that is, |p/q - a| is smallest for one p/q among these numbers. (If a happens to be one of these numbers, then consider only the values |p/q - a| for [tex]p/q \neq a[/tex]. This closest distance may be chosen as the [tex]\delta[/tex]. For if [tex]0 < |x-a| < \delta[/tex], then x is not one of

[tex]\frac{1}{2},...,\frac{n-1}{n}[/tex] and therefore [tex]|f(x)-0| < \epsilon[/tex].

This completes the proof. Note that our description of the delta which works for a given epsilon is completely adequate - there is no reason why we must give a formula for delta in terms of epsilon.

The basic idea is that you choose delta so that there is no fraction with denominator less than n within delta of a. You can then say that within delta of a, f is smaller than 1/n, except possibly at a itself.

Last edited:

What is the limit definition?

The limit definition is a mathematical concept that is used to find the value that a function approaches as the input approaches a specific value. It is the foundation of calculus and is used to calculate derivatives and integrals.

Why is the limit definition important?

The limit definition is important because it allows us to define and calculate the behavior of a function at a specific point. It is also used to prove mathematical theorems and solve real-world problems in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

How do you apply the limit definition?

To apply the limit definition, you must first identify the function and the value that the input is approaching. Then, you must algebraically manipulate the function to get it into the standard limit form. Finally, you substitute in the value that the input is approaching to find the limit.

What are the common mistakes when applying the limit definition?

One common mistake when applying the limit definition is not simplifying the function enough before substituting in the value that the input is approaching. This can lead to incorrect solutions. Another mistake is not correctly factoring the function, which can also result in incorrect answers.

How do you know if the limit definition is applicable?

The limit definition is applicable when the function is continuous at the specific value that the input is approaching. This means that the function has no gaps or holes in its graph at that point. If the function is not continuous, the limit definition cannot be used, and other methods must be employed to find the limit.