• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Applying to a recommender/adviser's alma mater?

• Admissions
  • Thread starter DukeofDuke
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

I am currently doing some research with a professor that I enjoy, and I like the lab and the team very much. So I plan on sticking with this till I leave for graduate school. Hopefully, my adviser will write a pretty recommendation for me!

He got his PhD and undegrad degrees from some fancy places, and did a postdoc at a fancy place as well. How much of an advantage would it give me at these places if an alumnus was backing me?

Answers and Replies

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
2019 Award
Very little. If I get a letter from someone I know, I weigh it more heavily than from someone I don't (if only because there will be more consequences if they lead me astray), but not because it has a "big name" on the letterhead.

but not because it has a "big name" on the letterhead.
No, I'm not asking what effect "big name" will have on committees everywhere, I'm asking what the name X university would have on the committee that's actually from X university. Not asking what Y university or Z university would think about a letter from an X university alum.

aka, if my adviser graduated from Columbia and wrote a strong letter for me, would that have a significantly stronger effect on the columbia admissions committee than it would have on say the upenn admissions committee?

eri
I had letters of recommendation from former professors, students who did very well for themselves, and even deans of colleges I was applying to - and I didn't get into those schools. I wouldn't count on it making a big difference.