Applying to a recommender/adviser's alma mater?

• Admissions
  • Thread starter DukeofDuke
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the potential impact of having a letter of recommendation from an alumnus of a prestigious university. The speaker notes that while knowing the person writing the letter may hold some weight, it is not solely based on the reputation of the university they attended. The speaker also shares their own experience of having strong recommendations but not being accepted into certain schools. Therefore, having an alumnus write a letter may not significantly impact the admissions process.
DukeofDuke
I am currently doing some research with a professor that I enjoy, and I like the lab and the team very much. So I plan on sticking with this till I leave for graduate school. Hopefully, my adviser will write a pretty recommendation for me!

He got his PhD and undegrad degrees from some fancy places, and did a postdoc at a fancy place as well. How much of an advantage would it give me at these places if an alumnus was backing me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Very little. If I get a letter from someone I know, I weigh it more heavily than from someone I don't (if only because there will be more consequences if they lead me astray), but not because it has a "big name" on the letterhead.

Vanadium 50 said:
but not because it has a "big name" on the letterhead.

No, I'm not asking what effect "big name" will have on committees everywhere, I'm asking what the name X university would have on the committee that's actually from X university. Not asking what Y university or Z university would think about a letter from an X university alum.

aka, if my adviser graduated from Columbia and wrote a strong letter for me, would that have a significantly stronger effect on the columbia admissions committee than it would have on say the upenn admissions committee?

I had letters of recommendation from former professors, students who did very well for themselves, and even deans of colleges I was applying to - and I didn't get into those schools. I wouldn't count on it making a big difference.

1. What is the advantage of applying to a recommender/adviser's alma mater?

One advantage is that the recommender/adviser may have connections with faculty members or admissions staff at their alma mater, which could potentially increase your chances of being accepted.

2. Should I mention the recommender/adviser's alma mater in my application?

Yes, it's a good idea to mention the recommender/adviser's alma mater in your application. This shows that you have a personal connection to the institution and have done your research on the program and faculty.

3. Is it necessary to have a letter of recommendation from the recommender/adviser if I am applying to their alma mater?

Having a letter of recommendation from the recommender/adviser can certainly strengthen your application, but it is not always necessary. It ultimately depends on the specific requirements of the program you are applying to.

4. Can I ask the recommender/adviser for advice on my application to their alma mater?

Yes, it is appropriate to ask for advice from the recommender/adviser on your application to their alma mater. They may be able to provide valuable insights and tips on how to make your application stand out.

5. Will the recommender/adviser's affiliation with their alma mater affect their objectivity in writing a letter of recommendation?

It's important to choose a recommender/adviser who can provide an unbiased and honest evaluation of your qualifications. If you have any concerns about their objectivity, you may want to consider asking someone else to write your letter of recommendation.