Applying to Study CFT in Graduate School

In summary, the conversation discussed the topic of Conformal Field Theories (CFTs) and their applications in various contexts such as string theory, field theory, condensed matter, and gauge/gravity duality. It was mentioned that CFTs can be a focus of research for graduate students, but it is important to determine where one's interests lie on the spectrum of CFTs. The techniques used in studying CFTs are similar, and there is a growing interest in the formal field theory aspect among both string theorists and condensed matter theorists. The conversation also revealed that the person inquiring is located in the United States.
Julianmm95
I am going to be applying to graduate programs for theory in the fall, and after discussing research with a few of my professors, my top research topic choice is Conformal Field Theories. Are CFT's a large enough area of study to be the focus of research for a graduate student? Also, will saying that I want to study CFT's in my applications be too specific/restrictive? Would it be better to just say that I want to study formal field theories?
Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
CFTs are used in many different contexts like string theory, more general field theoretic areas, in condensed matter in critical systems or things like FQHE (the edge state can be described by a 1+1D CFT and provides an example of a Kac Moody algebra), and of course in the context of gauge/gravity duality for strongly coupled CFTs. One note about the last one though is that many times you don't really know the actual CFT you are studying since you construct the gravity dual bottom up with symmetries. Nevertheless conformal symmetry gives you constraints on things like correlation functions.

So instead of saying you want to studying CFTs, you should try to figure out where you lie on this spectrum. The techniques though turn out to be very similar. It seems like you are most interested in the formal field theory aspect. Most of the people studying CFT from this perspective are/were string theorists, although a lot of CMT people have been doing a lot of more exotic work in the field. In fact, many in the former group have become interested in the latter.

Which country are you in?

radium said:
CFTs are used in many different contexts like string theory, more general field theoretic areas, in condensed matter in critical systems or things like FQHE (the edge state can be described by a 1+1D CFT and provides an example of a Kac Moody algebra), and of course in the context of gauge/gravity duality for strongly coupled CFTs. One note about the last one though is that many times you don't really know the actual CFT you are studying since you construct the gravity dual bottom up with symmetries. Nevertheless conformal symmetry gives you constraints on things like correlation functions.

So instead of saying you want to studying CFTs, you should try to figure out where you lie on this spectrum. The techniques though turn out to be very similar. It seems like you are most interested in the formal field theory aspect. Most of the people studying CFT from this perspective are/were string theorists, although a lot of CMT people have been doing a lot of more exotic work in the field. In fact, many in the former group have become interested in the latter.

Which country are you in?

Thanks so much for your response.
I am in the United States.
Could you go a bit more into the what kind of work CMT people are doing in formal field theories?

Related to Applying to Study CFT in Graduate School

1. What is CFT and why should I pursue it in graduate school?

CFT stands for Couple and Family Therapy. It is a field of study that focuses on understanding and treating problems within intimate relationships and families. Pursuing this field in graduate school can lead to a fulfilling career helping individuals and families navigate through difficult times.

2. What are the requirements for applying to study CFT in graduate school?

The requirements may vary depending on the specific program, but they typically include a bachelor's degree from an accredited university, letters of recommendation, a personal statement, and relevant work or volunteer experience. Some programs may also require GRE scores.

3. How long does it take to complete a graduate program in CFT?

The length of time can vary depending on the program and whether you attend full-time or part-time. On average, it takes 2-3 years to complete a master's program and 3-5 years for a doctoral program.

4. What career options are available after completing a graduate program in CFT?

Graduates with a degree in CFT can pursue careers as licensed marriage and family therapists, counselors, social workers, or researchers. They may also work in various settings such as private practice, community mental health centers, hospitals, or schools.

5. Can I specialize in a specific area within CFT during my graduate studies?

Yes, many graduate programs offer specializations or concentrations in areas such as trauma, substance abuse, LGBTQ+ populations, or child and adolescent therapy. It is important to research the specific program to see if they offer the specialization you are interested in.