Approximate amount of force to turn a miniture electric motor

In summary, the conversation involves using a small electric water pump as a hydro generator. The calculations are based on the motor's max operating range of 14v and 1.2 amps, which results in approximately 8.5 watts or 0.01 horsepower. The conversation also discusses the relationship between horsepower and torque, and suggests using a website for further explanation on the topic. The speaker is new to understanding these concepts and is seeking help to better comprehend them.
Marseyus
Ok I have a small electric water pump I plan on turning into a hydro generator. The motors max operating range is 14v and 1.2 amps. All of my calculations are going to based off of this. If we run the quick math we come up with approx 8.5 watts. which is about .01 Horsepower. So if 1 hp is 550ft pounds to move, then .01 would be approx 5.5ft pounds. So in theory if I applied 6 pounds of force it would turn the motor? Or is there some part of this formula I'm missing?

Of course I think I'm way off base here, I'm new to trying to understand why the things I work on work, but would like to understand them better. Any help with this would be much appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Likes Babadag

What is the approximate amount of force needed to turn a miniature electric motor?

The amount of force needed to turn a miniature electric motor can vary depending on factors such as the size and type of motor, as well as the load it is powering. Generally, it is recommended to use a torque range of 0.1-0.3 Nm for small motors.

How do I calculate the force required to turn a miniature electric motor?

To calculate the force required to turn a miniature electric motor, you will need to know the motor's torque (in Nm) and the radius of the gear or pulley it is turning. The force can then be calculated using the formula: force (N) = torque (Nm) / radius (m).

What can cause a miniature electric motor to require more force to turn?

There are a few factors that can cause a miniature electric motor to require more force to turn, such as a larger load or increased friction in the motor's bearings. Additionally, low battery voltage or a damaged motor can also result in the motor needing more force to turn.

What happens if too much force is applied to a miniature electric motor?

If too much force is applied to a miniature electric motor, it can cause the motor to overheat and potentially damage the internal components. It is important to use the recommended torque range for the specific motor to avoid damaging it.

Can the force needed to turn a miniature electric motor be reduced?

Yes, there are a few ways to reduce the force needed to turn a miniature electric motor. Using a smaller load, lubricating the motor's bearings, and using a higher voltage battery can all help reduce the force needed to turn the motor.