1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Approximation formula proof

1. May 4, 2014 #1
    Hi.
    Please help me prove the approximation formula below given in my book. This is not homework question.
    Thanks.

attachment.php?attachmentid=69383&stc=1&d=1399188366.jpg

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2014 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

You just neglect ##\tau_1## or ##\tau_2##, whatever is smaller. Note that a larger value will lead to a larger exponential as well (for positive t).

4. May 5, 2014 #3
    Thank you. However, that doesn't solve the problem. What need to be proved is different.

5. May 5, 2014 #4
    [tex]\frac{τ_1e^{-\frac{t}{τ_1}}-τ_2e^{-\frac{t}{τ_2}}}{τ_1-τ_2}=\frac{e^{-\frac{t}{τ_1}}-(τ_2/τ_1)e^{-\frac{t}{τ_2}}}{1-(τ_2/τ_1)}=e^{-\frac{t}{τ_1}}\left(\frac{1-(τ_2/τ_1)e^{-t(\frac{1}{τ_2}-\frac{1}{τ_1})}}{1-(τ_2/τ_1)}\right)=e^{-\frac{t}{τ_1}}\left(\frac{1-(τ_2/τ_1)e^{-t\frac{(τ_1-τ_2)}{τ_1τ_2}}}{1-(τ_2/τ_1)}\right)[/tex]

If τ1>>τ2, then [itex]e^{-t\frac{(τ_1-τ_2)}{τ_1τ_2}}<1[/itex].

From this, it follows that, in the numerator, [itex](τ_2/τ_1)e^{-t\frac{(τ_1-τ_2)}{τ_1τ_2}}<<1[/itex]

Also, in the denominator, [itex](τ_2/τ_1)<<1[/itex]

So the term in parenthesis approaches unity.

Chet

6. May 6, 2014 #5

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Why? It shows that the big is a correct approximation.

7. May 6, 2014 #6
    I guess the analysis I did in #4 did not work for the OP? (It was just a more fleshed-out version of what mfb was saying).

Chet

8. May 7, 2014 #7
    Thank you all.
    I think you misread the question a bit. The expression on the right hand side of the equation is [tex]e^{-\frac{t}{τ}}[/tex] with [tex]τ = τ_1 + τ_2[/tex].

9. May 7, 2014 #8
    You're right. But that doesn't matter much. The same general procedure could be used for this.

Chet

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook