The Correct Arc Length Formula for Finding a Function F(x)

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a function F(x) that satisfies the arc length formula and the FTCs. The function is found to be (1/2)x^2 - (1/4)Ln(x) with the restriction x>1. However, there is a discrepancy with the arclength formula and it is suggested that the initial point may be (1,0) instead of (1,1/2).
Townsend
Find a function F(x) whose arc length L(x) from (1,1/2) to (x,F(x)), x>1 is (1/2)x^2 + (1/4)Ln(x).

First some short hand notation.

Int[f(x),dx], means the indefinite integral of the function f(x).

Int[f(x),dx,a,b], means the definite integral where a is the lower bound and b is the upper bound.

d/(dx)[f(x)], is the derivate of f(x).

Sqrt[f(x)], is the square root of f(x).

Basically I am trying to follow Mathematica conventions and adding a touch of Leibniz to it.

Ok, now here is what I have done and where I am at thus far.

Arc length formula is Int[Sqrt[1+(d/dt)[f(t)]^2],dt,a,x]

So I have Int[Sqrt[1+((d/dt)[f(t)])^2],dt,1,x] = (1/2)x^2 + (1/4)Ln(x)

So by the FTC I can say that

d/(dx)[(1/2)x^2 + (1/4)Ln(x)] = Sqrt[1+(d/dt)[f(t)]^2]

Which is

x + 1/(4x) = Sqrt[1+(d/dt)[f(t)]^2]

Squaring both sides I have

(x + 1/(4x))^2 = abs[1+(d/dt)[f(t)]^2]

I drop the absolute value here so I have.

(x + 1/(4x))^2 = 1+(d/dt)[f(t)]^2

x^2 + 1/2 + (1/(4x))^2 = 1+(d/dt)[f(t)]^2

Subtracting 1 from both sides and factoring the RHS

(x - 1/(4x))^2 = ((d/dt)[f(t)])^2

Taking square root of both sides and discarding the absolute value I have.

(d/dt)[f(t)] = x - 1/(4x)

Integrating both sides I get.

f(x) =(1/2)x^2 - (1/4)Ln(x) +c

I use the point (1,(1/2)) that is given to find c. Thus c = 0.

Seems ok, right?

Well that means that if I put f(x) back into my arc length formula I should get back to the given function.

Ok... Did that and now I have an extra -(1/2) on my function? What am I missing here? One thing to notice is

Int[Sqrt[1+((d/dt)[f(t)])^2],dt,1,x] = (1/2)x^2 + (1/4)Ln(x)

When x=1 you have 0 = 1/2

Of course the restriction was x>1

Any help would be great, thanks.

cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
Interesting. I'm getting the same thing.

You'll notice that the method fails right after applying the FTCs. You get an expression for Sqrt[1+f'[t]^2] that, if you integrate from 1 to x with respect to t, has the extra -1/2. Additionally, maybe I just can't use my calculator, but whenever I asked it to find the arclength numerically between two finite points for x^2/2 + 1/(4x), the answer did not agree with x + Log[x]/4 - 1/2.

Sorry I'm not more help, but mathematical rigor is most definitely not my strong point.

cookiemonster

i'm tempted to think there is no solution because if x=1, the arc length formula would give 1/2. the restriction x>1 may be the resolution to that little dilemma. seems odd though that the arc length function L(x) is discontinuous at x=1, jumping from 0 to 1/2. L(1) should be 0.

I don't see the problem, I don't get an extra 1/2 at the end. I get the same result as you do finding the function but I don't have any problem inputing back into the equation.

[tex]f(x) = x^2 - \frac{ln|x|}{4}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{df(x)}{dx} = x - \frac{1}{4x}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{df(x)}{dx}^2 = x^2 - \frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{16x^2}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{df(x)}{dx}^2 + 1 = x^2 + \frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{16x^2} = (x + \frac{1}{4x})^2[/tex]

[tex]L = \int_{1}^{x} \sqrt(x + \frac{1}{4x})^2 dx = \int_{1}^{x} (x + \frac{1}{4x}) dx[/tex]

[tex]L = [ \frac{x^2}{2} + \frac{ln|x|}{4} ]_{1}^{x}[/tex]

Like I said, unless I missed something in your post, I don't see any problem.

in [tex]L = [ \frac{x^2}{2} + \frac{ln|x|}{4} ]_{1}^{x}[/tex], when you subtract off the result of plugging in the 1, you get -1/2.

Oh, I see. That's odd. Are you sure that in the text they didn't mean that the result from the arclength formula should be x^2/2 + lnx/4 before you put in the limits?

or that the initial point might be (1,0)? if it were (1,0), then x^2/2+(logx)/4 would work.

kinda neat, actually. if A(f)(x) gives the arc length of f as a function of x and the initial point was (1,0), then this particular function x^2/2+(logx)/4 is a fixed "point" of the operator A.

Your arclength formula is wrong. Starting with the derivative of the arclength, you have:
dL/dx=sqrt(1+f'(x)^(2)).
Integrating from 1 to x yields:
L(x)=L(1)+int^(x)_(1)sqrt(1+f'(t)^(2))dt
When L(1) is non-zero, as in your case, it simply means that the graph (t,f(t)) (on 1<t<x) represents a segment of a curve starting at some point (x0,y0) such that the arclength from (x0,y0) to (1,1/2) is L(1)..

What is the Arc Length formula?

The Arc Length formula is a mathematical formula used to determine the length of an arc on a circle. It is represented as L = rθ, where L is the arc length, r is the radius of the circle, and θ is the central angle in radians.

How is the Arc Length formula derived?

The Arc Length formula is derived from the proportionality between the length of an arc and the size of the central angle. As the central angle increases, the arc length also increases. The formula is a result of this relationship.

What is the difference between arc length and circumference?

Arc length is the actual length of a portion of a circle's circumference, whereas circumference is the total distance around the entire circle. Arc length is measured in linear units (such as inches or centimeters), while circumference is measured in linear units squared (such as square inches or square centimeters).

Can the Arc Length formula be used for any circle?

Yes, the Arc Length formula can be used for any circle, regardless of its size or position. It is a fundamental formula in geometry and is applicable to all circles.

Is the Arc Length formula related to the Pythagorean theorem?

No, the Arc Length formula is not directly related to the Pythagorean theorem. The Pythagorean theorem is used to find the length of the hypotenuse in a right triangle, while the Arc Length formula is used to find the length of an arc on a circle.