1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Archimedes Derivation: Law of the lever

1. Jul 26, 2015 #1
    Hi, I'm watching a talk about Archimedes Law of the lever, and I was wondering: Does anyone know how the formula d=w/2w/b-a) was derived from the lecture drawing at 9.00 min in? The speaker just skips the algebraic derivation.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2015 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

With "d=w/2w/b-a)" you mean d=W/(2w) (b-a) ?

It's a simple torque balance (see at 8:51).

On the left you have ##d \times w + {a\over 2}\times pW##, on the right ##{b\over 2}\times qW##,

and ##\ \ a = {p\over l}\ \ ## and ## b = {q\over l}\ \ ## so that $$
    d \times w = \left ( {b^2 \over 2l} - { a^2 \over 2l} \right ) \times W.
    $$Now use ##\ \ b^2-a^2 = (a-b) (a+b) = (a-b)\; l\ \ ## and there you are !

4. Jul 26, 2015 #3
    Thank you very much! There is one more thing i can't seem to understand: I understand that little w is the weight of the object on the lever, but right next to little w there is a big W pointing down (on the left side). What does the big W mean? And what is it doing on the left side?

5. Jul 26, 2015 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

W is the weight of the beam on which the weight small w is resting.
    A fraction ##{a\over l}## of W is on the left side, and a fraction ##{b\over l}## of W is to the right of the balance point

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook