Derivation of Kinetic energy formula and energy principle

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 4K views
albertrichardf
Messages
165
Reaction score
11
Hi all,

Here is the derivation of kinetic energy from Work:

W = ∫Fds
From the second law of motion F = dp/dt, which is equal to mdv/dt, so:

W = m∫dvdx/dt which = m∫dv x v because dx/dt = v
Therefore W = 1/2mv2, when integrated.
However from simple algebra derivation, W = Δ1/2mv2.

Did I skip something in the derivation? I know that the actual integration would be 1/2mv2
+ C, where C is a constant. However I omitted the C. Is it because of that that I did not end up with the proper equation? If so, why would C = -1/2vi2. (vi because Δv = v - vi and the rest comes from kinetic energy equation.) Or is it because I wrongly integrated?

Any answers would be appreciated. Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Do it as a definite integral between vi and vf, which corresponds to doing the original integral of Fds as a definite integral between an initial position si and final position sf.
 
Albertrichardf said:
Hi all,

Here is the derivation of kinetic energy from Work:

W = ∫Fds
From the second law of motion F = dp/dt, which is equal to mdv/dt, so:

W = m∫dvdx/dt which = m∫dv x v because dx/dt = v
Therefore W = 1/2mv2, when integrated.
However from simple algebra derivation, W = Δ1/2mv2.

Did I skip something in the derivation? I know that the actual integration would be 1/2mv2
+ C, where C is a constant. However I omitted the C. Is it because of that that I did not end up with the proper equation? If so, why would C = -1/2vi2. (vi because Δv = v - vi and the rest comes from kinetic energy equation.) Or is it because I wrongly integrated?

Any answers would be appreciated. Thanks

The formula for work is not an indefinite integral, it's a definite integral. That means that there is no arbitrary constant [itex]C[/itex]. The definite integral gives:

[itex]W = 1/2 m (v^2 - v_i^2)[/itex]

where [itex]v_i[/itex] is the initial velocity. The work is only equal to the kinetic energy in the case of a force accelerating a particle from rest ([itex]v_i = 0)[/itex].
 
You integrated correctly and C = -1/2vi2. To see that just keep in mind that the final time tf can be any time at all and in particular we can chose tf = ti in which case no time has elapsed no displacement has occurred and no work was done, so you have

0 = W = 1/2 m vf2 + C = 1/2 m vi2 + C,

hence C = -1/2 m vi2
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
Thanks for the answers. However, there is something else I wish to clear up now. Why would work be a definite integral?
Thanks
 
Albertrichardf said:
Why would work be a definite integral?

Because it is the work done in moving from point A to point B.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person