Derivation of Kinetic energy formula and energy principle

In summary: In other words, if you have a force acting on an object and you want to know the work done to move that object from A to B, you would do the work as a definite integral.
albertrichardf
Hi all,

Here is the derivation of kinetic energy from Work:

W = ∫Fds
From the second law of motion F = dp/dt, which is equal to mdv/dt, so:

W = m∫dvdx/dt which = m∫dv x v because dx/dt = v
Therefore W = 1/2mv2, when integrated.
However from simple algebra derivation, W = Δ1/2mv2.

Did I skip something in the derivation? I know that the actual integration would be 1/2mv2
+ C, where C is a constant. However I omitted the C. Is it because of that that I did not end up with the proper equation? If so, why would C = -1/2vi2. (vi because Δv = v - vi and the rest comes from kinetic energy equation.) Or is it because I wrongly integrated?

Any answers would be appreciated. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Do it as a definite integral between vi and vf, which corresponds to doing the original integral of Fds as a definite integral between an initial position si and final position sf.

Albertrichardf said:
Hi all,

Here is the derivation of kinetic energy from Work:

W = ∫Fds
From the second law of motion F = dp/dt, which is equal to mdv/dt, so:

W = m∫dvdx/dt which = m∫dv x v because dx/dt = v
Therefore W = 1/2mv2, when integrated.
However from simple algebra derivation, W = Δ1/2mv2.

Did I skip something in the derivation? I know that the actual integration would be 1/2mv2
+ C, where C is a constant. However I omitted the C. Is it because of that that I did not end up with the proper equation? If so, why would C = -1/2vi2. (vi because Δv = v - vi and the rest comes from kinetic energy equation.) Or is it because I wrongly integrated?

Any answers would be appreciated. Thanks

The formula for work is not an indefinite integral, it's a definite integral. That means that there is no arbitrary constant [itex]C[/itex]. The definite integral gives:

[itex]W = 1/2 m (v^2 - v_i^2)[/itex]

where [itex]v_i[/itex] is the initial velocity. The work is only equal to the kinetic energy in the case of a force accelerating a particle from rest ([itex]v_i = 0)[/itex].

You integrated correctly and C = -1/2vi2. To see that just keep in mind that the final time tf can be any time at all and in particular we can chose tf = ti in which case no time has elapsed no displacement has occurred and no work was done, so you have

0 = W = 1/2 m vf2 + C = 1/2 m vi2 + C,

hence C = -1/2 m vi2

Likes 1 person
Thanks for the answers. However, there is something else I wish to clear up now. Why would work be a definite integral?
Thanks

Albertrichardf said:
Why would work be a definite integral?

Because it is the work done in moving from point A to point B.

Likes 1 person

1. What is the derivation of the kinetic energy formula?

The kinetic energy formula is derived from the work-energy theorem, which states that the work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. Therefore, the kinetic energy formula is derived by equating the work done on an object to its change in kinetic energy and solving for the final velocity.

2. How is the energy principle related to the kinetic energy formula?

The energy principle, also known as the conservation of energy, states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transferred or transformed from one form to another. The kinetic energy formula is a direct result of this principle, as it shows how the energy of an object in motion can be calculated and conserved.

3. What are the variables involved in the kinetic energy formula?

The variables involved in the kinetic energy formula are mass (m) and velocity (v). The formula is K.E. = 1/2 * m * v^2, where K.E. represents kinetic energy. The mass of an object affects its kinetic energy, while the velocity has a larger impact on the energy due to its squared term.

4. How is the kinetic energy formula used in real-world applications?

The kinetic energy formula is used in various real-world applications, such as calculating the energy of moving vehicles, projectiles, and particles. It is also used in the design and analysis of machines, such as roller coasters and vehicles, to ensure safe and efficient operation.

5. What are the limitations of the kinetic energy formula?

The kinetic energy formula is limited in its application to objects moving at non-relativistic speeds. It also assumes that there are no external forces acting on the object, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios. Additionally, the formula does not account for other forms of energy, such as potential energy, that may be present in a system.