Are Different Dice Color Outcomes Considered the Same?

• Thread starter kecontroversy
  • Start date
In summary, probability is a measure of the likelihood of an event occurring, expressed as a number between 0 and 1. To calculate probability, you divide the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. Theoretical probability is based on mathematical calculations, while experimental probability is based on actual outcomes. The law of large numbers states that as the number of trials or experiments increases, the experimental probability will approach the theoretical probability. Probability is used in many different fields to make predictions and informed decisions.
kecontroversy
erm... I am facing one question that confused me..
the problem as abt the problem on problem..
the question is like this: there is two one red six-sided dice, one blue six-sided dice, and one red six sided dice.
One possible outcome is (1, 2), i.e. the red dice shows “1”, and the blue dice shows “2”. and the question ask: are {3[red color] 4 [blue color] } and {4[red] 3[blue]} considered the same outcome or different??

my idea is that should be same, as the total result is 7 for both..
wanna ask opinion from u guys..

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
kecontroversy said:
the question is like this: there is two one red six-sided dice, one blue six-sided dice, and one red six sided dice.
One possible outcome is (1, 2), i.e. the red dice shows “1”, and the blue dice shows “2”. and the question ask: are {3[red color] 4 [blue color] } and {4[red] 3[blue]} considered the same outcome or different??

thanks
They are probably considered different since you went to the trouble of having two color. It depends what you are doing, sometimes people who are only concerned about the sum use two colors, usually in probability problems nonidentical dice implies that we care what their individual values are.

kecontroversy said:

thanks

They should be different since they are different outcomes of the experiment. It helps to think of things in terms of how the experiment can turn out. For example say you flip two fair coins, what is the sample space?

(H,H), (H,T), (T,H), (T,T)

Notice that (H,T) is not the same result as (T,H)

Hope that helps

Related to Are Different Dice Color Outcomes Considered the Same?

What is probability?

Probability is a measure of the likelihood of an event occurring. It is expressed as a number between 0 and 1, where 0 indicates impossibility and 1 indicates certainty.

How do you calculate probability?

To calculate probability, you divide the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. This can also be expressed as a percentage or decimal.

What is the difference between theoretical and experimental probability?

Theoretical probability is based on mathematical calculations, while experimental probability is based on actual outcomes from experiments or real-life events.

What is the law of large numbers?

The law of large numbers states that as the number of trials or experiments increases, the experimental probability will approach the theoretical probability. This means that the more data you have, the closer your results will be to the expected outcome.

How is probability used in real life?

Probability is used in many different fields, such as finance, weather forecasting, and sports. It helps us make predictions and informed decisions based on the likelihood of certain outcomes.