Are drug induced experiences real?

• Medical
  • Thread starter Martini
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Induced
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of reality in relation to drug-induced experiences. The participants argue whether the things a person perceives on a drug like LSD are real or not. Some argue that if the experience is tangible, then it is real, while others believe that it is all a mental construction. They also mention that the definition of "real" needs to be clarified and that drug experiences can affect the brain's chemistry. The conversation ends with the mention of individuals with mental disorders who have hallucinations and how their experiences are very real to them. Overall, the conversation highlights the subjective nature of reality and its connection to drug use and mental health.
well, why can't I try?
Obviously, I started a thread which interested all of you.
And I think it's rude of you to say I know nothing because I'm not in college.

Biology news on Phys.org
Martini said:
Define reality?
Is there a reality outside of your own mind?

The EPR argument is still the longest and most influential debate on the nature of reality. Bell's theorem heavily points in the direction that Einstein was wrong and the assumption of locality contradicts QM experiments.

Also, would you say hallucinations caused by a mental illness are fake?

I've thought about this in the past. We mainly believe our reality is the right one, because we are the majority and because our 'visions' make sense and let us progress. The other scenario is a no-go.

You have to be careful with phychedelics, i am aware of people going crazy after the visual experience. I have a friend who almost lost his mind when his cat turned into a dog. I asked him how real the visual felt from 1 to 10 and he said 10. This is still the only reason stoppping me from jumping on the DMT bandwagon, i am not 100% sure that i am ready for this, nor do i want to risk even the 1% chance of going insane afterwards.

But colour doesn't exist physically, only wavelengths do. So if I receive wavelengths corresponding to what people normally perceive as red, but instead hear the note G for example, I don't see how this is less real.
Also my point was that synasthesia is commonly experienced by people under the influence of drugs like LSD.

madness said:
But colour doesn't exist physically, only wavelengths do. So if I receive wavelengths corresponding to what people normally perceive as red, but instead hear the note G for example, I don't see how this is less real.
Also my point was that synasthesia is commonly experienced by people under the influence of drugs like LSD.
What do you think color is? Just because we call a certain wavelength some descriptive word doesn't change the fact that the wavelength is real.

This thread apparently can't get on topic. And it's not a philosophical debate, it's about the effects of drugs on the brain.

Closed.