1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Are Equations allowed in a Physics ESSAY?

1. May 19, 2016 #1
    Say I'm asked to write a 1-2 page essay on Nanotech. Will adding equations improve my chances of better marks or cripple it?

2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2016 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

I'd ask your instructor to make sure you know what they want and how they will grade it.

4. May 19, 2016 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Without knowing what equations you have in mind, I can't say for sure, but I don't think that equations are called for in a short essay on nanotechnology. Do you have any specific equations in mind?

5. May 26, 2016 #4
    It depends on your audience (i.e. the reader(s) of your essay). If your audience is made up of faculty, your inclusion of equations will be better received, than in an audience of high school students, and those students will be happier with equations, than in an audience of fourth graders.
    Because you are being graded, you are probably preparing the essay for high school or college. However, if your assignment is to make nanotech understandable to a layman, your (audience) is different than (an audience of) the college science professor grading your essay.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted