Are experimentation and theory always two separate jobs?

In summary, the conversation discusses the roles of theorists and experimentalists in the field of physics, specifically in condensed matter and nuclear physics. The question of whether these roles are always separate is raised, and the speakers share their experiences with crossing over into the other field. While it is not common for experimentalists to contribute to theory development, it is not unheard of. However, the demands of being a successful experimenter make it difficult to also keep up with theoretical developments. The conversation also touches on the idea of "experimentalish theorists" who participate in experiments but focus mainly on data interpretation.
Alexmer
Hello PhysicsForums

I'm an undergraduate physics major trying to get an idea of what I'm going to be spending the rest of my life doing. I know that physicists are usually split into theorists and experimentalists with the majority being experimentalists. But are the two types always separate? For example, how unusual would it be for an experimentalist in condensed matter to contribute to the development of theories in his/her field through mathematics rather than experimentation?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm in experimental HEP. I have co-written two published theory papers, which is approximately 2 more than the average experimenter. It was difficult to make even this level of contribution - there's just not enough time to keep up with the theoretical developments at the level needed to add to them and to be a successful experimenter. I had a good co-author (a theorist).

These papers were not earth-shattering. They got maybe 70-80 citations each. Both papers addressed a very specific issue, the community reacted, and then moved on.

Probably not what you wanted to hear.

I say this without evidence, but I think it's more common to see theorists that dabble in experiment than you see the other way around.

I'm in experimental nuclear physics. In my (largish) research group, we have two theorists who suggest experiments, and pull shifts on the accelerator, but will not tend to participate in experimental design or the analysis of data. They are very helpful when it comes to the interpretation of the data, however. They're kind of experimentalish theorists.

Related to Are experimentation and theory always two separate jobs?

1. Are experimentation and theory always two separate jobs?

The answer to this question is not a simple yes or no. While experimentation and theory can be considered separate jobs, they are often intertwined and work together to advance scientific understanding.

2. How are experimentation and theory related?

Experimentation and theory are closely related in the scientific process. Experimentation provides data to support or refute a theory, while theories help guide and interpret experimental results.

3. Can a scientist be both an experimenter and a theorist?

Yes, it is possible for a scientist to have experience in both experimentation and theory. In fact, many scientists engage in both activities as part of their research process. However, some may specialize in one or the other.

4. What are the roles of experimentation and theory in the scientific method?

The scientific method involves a cycle of experimentation and theory. Experimentation is used to test hypotheses and gather data, while theory is used to explain and interpret the results of experiments. This process helps to validate or refine scientific knowledge.

5. Can one be successful in science without expertise in both experimentation and theory?

While it is beneficial to have knowledge and skills in both experimentation and theory, it is possible to be successful in science with expertise in just one area. Collaboration with other scientists who possess complementary skills can also lead to success in scientific research.