Are matrices B and C invertible if ABC = I in linear algebra?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 9K views
Sheneron
Messages
360
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Prove that if A,B,and C are square matrices and ABC = I, then B is invertible and B^-1 = CA.

The Attempt at a Solution



[tex]ABC = I[/tex]
[tex]CABC = CI[/tex]
[tex]CABC = C[/tex]
[tex]CABCA = CA[/tex]

so we have these two things:
[tex](CAB)CA = CA[/tex]
[tex]CA(BCA) = CA[/tex]

so I thought that since CA times CAB = CA then CAB = I, and same for BCA. But, that is only true if the matrix is invertible, and the problem doesn't say whether C and A are invertible. Any suggestions? Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If M and N are square matrices, and MN = I, then both M and N are invertible.

You're given that ABC = I, so A(BC) = I, and (AB)C = I, which says that A, BC, AB, and C are all invertible, and that A^(-1) = BC, and so on.

Your last equation is CA(BCA) = CA, which suggests to me that BCA = I, or that B(CA) = I. What's the relationship between B and CA?
 
Is an if you multiply invertible matrices together does it always yield an invertible matrix?

If so then CA(BCA) = CA implies that B(CA) = I, which means that B^-1=CA.
 
Yes because det(AB) = det(A)*det(B) and if det(AB) is non-zero, then neither A nor B can have zero determinant, i.e., they must both be invertible. [if we're dealing with real or complex valued matrices at least]