Linear Algebra Proof using Inverses

In summary: You've got to fill in some reasons.In summary, the conversation discusses the proof that if A, B, and C are square matrices and ABC = I, then B is invertible and B−1 = CA. The participants go through various steps and arguments to reach this conclusion, including using the fact that the product of invertible matrices is also invertible, as well as the left hand cancellation property for matrices. The final proof involves reordering the multiplication and using the fact that B is invertible.
B18

Homework Statement

Prove that if A, B, and C are square matrices and ABC = I, then B is invertible and B−1 = CA.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I have this figured out, just checking it. Heres what I got:
ABC=I
(ABC)B-1=IB-1
(B*B-1)AC=IB-1
I*AC=IB-1 Cancel I using left hand cancellation property
AC=B-1
Thus B-1=CA

Is every thing I've done here mathematically correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
B18 said:

Homework Statement

Prove that if A, B, and C are square matrices and ABC = I, then B is invertible and B−1 = CA.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I have this figured out, just checking it. Heres what I got:
ABC=I
(ABC)B-1=IB-1

How do you know ##B## has an inverse to use? You are trying to prove that.

(B*B-1)AC=IB-1

And, even if you did, how did you get that step? Matrix multiplication isn't commutative.

Ok, yes I see what you're saying. I can't do the steps I did there. I know that B has to have an inverse because A,B, and Care square matrices and their product is the identity matrix.

Is this a correct path to go down on this proof?
We have ABC=I
(AB)C=I. Since (AB)C=I we know that (AB) and C are both invertible. Also this tells us that C=(AB)-1, and (AB)=C-1

You can also reorder the multiplication using
CABC = CI = C =IC
Implies CAB = I.
Same logic as in your last post should bring you to the solution you are looking for.

How does this look:
We have ABC=I
C(ABC)=CI
CABC=C
(CABC)A=CA
(CAB)CA=CA This implies that CAB=I
CA(BCA)=CA This implies that BCA=I
CAB=BCA
(CA)B=B(CA) Then B must be invertible
Therefore BCA=I
CA=B-1

Looks good to me. You hit all the important points.

I think you need to flesh out your argument with a few more details. Your steps may be correct, but if this is a homework problem you need to fill in some reasons.

B18 said:
How does this look:
We have ABC=I
C(ABC)=CI
CABC=C
(CABC)A=CA
(CAB)CA=CA This implies that CAB=I
CA(BCA)=CA This implies that BCA=I
Why do those imply those?
CAB=BCA
(CA)B=B(CA) Then B must be invertible

Why must B be invertible? That statement by itself doesn't imply it.

Therefore BCA=I

Why the "therefore" now? Didn't you already have BCA=I above?

CA=B-1

Like I said above, your statements may be true, but your teacher is going to want to know if you know why they are true.

Last edited:

1. What is a linear algebra proof using inverses?

A linear algebra proof using inverses is a mathematical method used to show that two matrices are inverses of each other. This involves using properties of matrix multiplication and the definition of inverse matrices to manipulate equations and show that the product of the two matrices is equal to the identity matrix.

2. How do you prove that two matrices are inverses of each other?

To prove that two matrices are inverses of each other, you must show that their product is equal to the identity matrix. This can be done by multiplying the two matrices and using properties of matrix multiplication to simplify the result to the identity matrix. This shows that the two matrices "undo" each other when multiplied together, making them inverses.

3. What properties of matrix multiplication are used in a linear algebra proof using inverses?

In a linear algebra proof using inverses, properties such as the associative property, commutative property, and distributive property of matrix multiplication are often used. Additionally, the fact that the product of a matrix and its inverse is equal to the identity matrix is also used.

4. Can you provide an example of a linear algebra proof using inverses?

Sure! Let's say we have two matrices A and B, and we want to prove that they are inverses of each other. We would start by multiplying them together: AB. Then, using properties of matrix multiplication, we can manipulate the equation to look like this: (AB)B^-1 = B^-1. This shows that AB "undoes" B when multiplied together, making them inverses.

5. Why is understanding linear algebra proofs using inverses important?

Understanding linear algebra proofs using inverses is important because it allows us to manipulate and solve complex equations involving matrices. This is useful in many fields, including engineering, computer science, and data analysis. Additionally, understanding these proofs can help to deepen our understanding of linear algebra concepts and properties.