1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Are Protons, Neutrons, and Electrons energy?

1. Dec 19, 2011 #1
    Ok Im kinda happy becuase this is my first Post on this website. I love physics. I am wondering if we as humans have established the knowledge of what exactly Protons, Neutrons, and Electrons are. Down to their core, could they be energy? By energy I mean a source of power small or big. I Really could use some info on this.
    I will be checking this website often most likely.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 19, 2011 #2
    Due to einstien's equation E=mc2 (mass and energy are equivilant), yes they are energy. This can all be released by colliding the particle with it's antiparticle. This can be seen in PET scans, where positrons (anti- electrons) are produced, which annialate with electrons to make radiation energy which is picked up by the scanner.

BTW, if you want to know what Protons, Neutrons, and Electrons are, protons and neutrons are each made up of 3 particles called quarks. Protons are made of 2 up quarks and a down quark, neurons 2 downs and an up. Down and up quarks, along neutrinos and electrons, are fundemental particles and make up the standard model. There are many ideas of what fundemental particles are made up of, however, such as "point" particles or 2- dimensional elastic band- like things.

4. Dec 21, 2011 #3
    Dude Thank you so much. by the way: are you into One Piece? I see that your name is Jetwaterluffy. If you are that cool. I dont read the manga, I only wait for the animation, so i try not to find out what has happened in the manga yet. More to the point though: I was wondering if we could talk about this subject of science more. Maybe we could talk on facebook or yahoo messenger; some sort of chat program. I do want to elaborate on my question. I'll be waiting for your response.

5. Jan 5, 2012 #4
    I don't want to talk on facebook or yahoo messenger (because of privacy issues, you could be a terrorist for all I know), but I'll happily talk to you in in VMs or PMs. Yes I do like one piece, although I am more of a manga person myself.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook