Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Are quarks really in isocoles triangle positions?

1. May 1, 2010 #1
    I have not had any luck in finding out how much is known about the actual positions of quarks in protons and neutrons.

I am confused by the brief snippets of information I have managed to find. First by the fact that an electron is fired at a nucleon and that its path can reveal the prescence of 3 quarks - can they really hold this object perfectly still to fire dozens of electrons at it to deduce this???!

I have a model for a proton attached here.

Is there experimental evidence to suggest the relative positioning of the quarks is incorrect? Are there some basic level links for this anywhere?

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2010 #2
    they are not positioned, they are "orbiting"(cloud) in the same way as the electron in the atom (i.e. electron cloud -> Quark cloud)

and one has not found 3 quark, one finds quark densities, anti quark densities and gluon densities, consistent with 3 "valence" quarks which are responsible for the overall quantum numbers.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook