Are quarks really in isocoles triangle positions?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in determining the exact positions of quarks in protons and neutrons, as well as the confusion surrounding the method of using electrons to reveal the presence of quarks. The model for a proton is also mentioned, along with the explanation that quarks are not positioned, but rather orbiting in a cloud similar to the electron in an atom. The conversation also mentions the experimental evidence for the relative positioning of quarks and the role of quark densities in determining overall quantum numbers.
Puma
I have not had any luck in finding out how much is known about the actual positions of quarks in protons and neutrons.

I am confused by the brief snippets of information I have managed to find. First by the fact that an electron is fired at a nucleon and that its path can reveal the prescence of 3 quarks - can they really hold this object perfectly still to fire dozens of electrons at it to deduce this?!

I have a model for a proton attached here.

Is there experimental evidence to suggest the relative positioning of the quarks is incorrect? Are there some basic level links for this anywhere?

Thanks

Attachments

• proton 1.jpg
    proton 1.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 438
  • proton0.jpg
    proton0.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 423
Physics news on Phys.org
they are not positioned, they are "orbiting"(cloud) in the same way as the electron in the atom (i.e. electron cloud -> Quark cloud)

and one has not found 3 quark, one finds quark densities, anti quark densities and gluon densities, consistent with 3 "valence" quarks which are responsible for the overall quantum numbers.

FAQ: Are quarks really in isocoles triangle positions?

1. What are quarks and what is an isosceles triangle?

Quarks are subatomic particles that make up protons and neutrons. They are considered the building blocks of matter. An isosceles triangle is a triangle with two equal sides and two equal angles.

2. How do we know quarks are in isosceles triangle positions?

Scientists have studied the behavior of quarks using particle accelerators and have observed that they are arranged in a triangular formation within protons and neutrons. This arrangement is consistent with an isosceles triangle.

3. Can quarks be in other formations besides an isosceles triangle?

Yes, quarks can also be arranged in a different formation called a "delta" or "Y" shape. However, the isosceles triangle formation is the most common and stable configuration for quarks within protons and neutrons.

4. What is the significance of quarks being in isosceles triangle positions?

The isosceles triangle arrangement of quarks is important because it allows for the stability of protons and neutrons. If quarks were arranged in a different formation, it could result in unstable particles and potentially disrupt the balance of forces within atoms.

5. Are there any ongoing research or theories about quarks and their positions?

Yes, scientists are continually studying quarks and their behavior within protons and neutrons. Some theories suggest that there may be more complex arrangements of quarks, such as a "tetrahedron" shape, that could further our understanding of the structure of matter.