1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Are the eyes an example of the photoelectric effect

1. Jul 20, 2009 #1
    It seems to me that the eyes are an example of the photoelectric effect at work. If so, which is more effective; current technology, photosynthesis, or our eyes?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2009 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Except that they aren't. Our eyes work by chemical processes involving a protein family called opsins.

4. Jul 21, 2009 #3
    So the photon's are not being converted into electrical energy? Or is the photoelectric effect being expressed by the opsins? It seems to me that light is being converted to electricity that our brain interprets.

5. Jul 21, 2009 #4
    the photoelectric effect is not an umbrella term for the conversion of light into movements of electrons. It is the physics of a very specific scattering effect. From what little I know about how the eyes see the work voltage, retarding potential, etc. have nothing to do with it.

6. Jul 21, 2009 #5

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

This is not the way to hold a conversation: writing down incorrect things that "seem to you" to be true, and yet are not. I would start by reading up on how the eye actually does work before posting about how you think it must work.

7. Jul 21, 2009 #6
    Good point. Can you point me in the right direction?

8. Jul 21, 2009 #7
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook