Are the following properties true? Linear Algebra

In summary, the conversation discusses whether the following statements are true or false: a) rank(A) = rank(At) and b) dim(Nul(A)) = dim(Nul(At)). It is noted that the transpose of a matrix swaps its rows and columns, making the two statements interchangeable. However, it is clarified that both statements are false. The conversation also mentions the rank-nullity theorem and the concept of row rank equaling column rank, which is considered well-known. One of the participants suggests saving the question for when the concept of RowSpace is covered next term, while another explains that the rank of a matrix is simply the number of linearly independent columns.
flyingpig

Homework Statement

Let A be a matrix

Then the following is true or false. (No need to explain why)

a) rank(A) = rank(At)
b) dim(Nul(A)) = dim(Nul(At)

The Attempt at a Solution

They are both true false right? The transpose swaps their row and columns which makes them interchanged

rank(A) = dim(Nul(At)

rank(At) = dim(Nul(A))

Physics news on Phys.org
flyingpig said:
They are both true false right?

Greetings! I'm somewhat confused. Consider a 2 by 3 matrix; is rank(A) = rank(AT)?

I meant to say "They are both false" right?

Undoubtedly0 said:
Greetings! I'm somewhat confused. Consider a 2 by 3 matrix; is rank(A) = rank(AT)?

Row rank does equal column rank, doesn't it? Isn't this fairly well known?

I have not learned RowSpace yet sorry, we cover that next term

flyingpig said:
I have not learned RowSpace yet sorry, we cover that next term

Then you maybe haven't done the rank-nullity theorem either. Maybe you should save this question for next term?

Dick said:
Row rank does equal column rank, doesn't it? Isn't this fairly well known?

Right right. I guess the point is that the rank of a matrix is simply the number of linearly independent columns (any 3x2 and any 2x3 matrix can both have at most 2 linearly independent columns). Does this help at all flyingpig?

What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with vector spaces and linear mappings between those spaces. It also involves the study of systems of linear equations and their solutions.

What are some common properties studied in linear algebra?

Some common properties studied in linear algebra include vector addition and scalar multiplication, matrix multiplication, determinants, eigenvalues and eigenvectors, and linear transformations.

How is linear algebra used in science?

Linear algebra is used in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and computer science. It is used to model and solve problems involving systems of linear equations, analyze data sets, and make predictions based on linear transformations.

What are the benefits of studying linear algebra?

Studying linear algebra can improve problem-solving skills, logical thinking, and mathematical reasoning. It also provides a foundation for more advanced mathematical concepts and their applications in science and engineering.

Is linear algebra difficult to learn?

Linear algebra can be challenging at first, but with practice and persistence, it can be mastered. It is a fundamental subject in mathematics and science, so investing time and effort in learning it can be highly beneficial.