Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Are the functions for mixed derivative always equal?

1. Nov 5, 2016 #1
    Hi all, I understand that the mixed partial derivative at some point may not be equal if the such mixed partial derivative is not continuous at the point, but are the actual functions of mixed partial derivatives always equal? In other words, if I simply compute the mixed partial derivatives without using the limit definition or in the point, do I get the same functions which are discontinuous only at the critical point?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2016 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

How would you go about computing any derivative without using the limit definition?
    The limit definition is what a derivative is...

Can you express your question as a mathematical statement.
    ie. ##\partial_{xy}f(x,y) \neq \partial_{yx}f(x)## says the mixed partials of function f are not the same if the order of differentiation is reversed.
    Is this what you mean by "the mixed partial derivative at some point may not be equal"?

... a function of mixed partials would be like ##f(g_1,g_2):\; g_1=\partial_{xy}g(x,y),\; g_2=\partial_{yx}g(x,y)##, is that what you mean?

I am not clear on the question here:
    Are you asking: if ##g(x,y)## has discontinuity point p, do ##g_1## and ##g_2## also have discontinuities at point p?

4. Nov 5, 2016 #3

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
  5. Nov 5, 2016 #4
    Sorry about the confusion. What I want to ask is that, for example, is it possible to have a function f(x,y) such that fxy = x while fyx = y ?

6. Nov 6, 2016 #5

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

See how much clearer it is when you use maths as a language?
    Take a look at the references in post #3 and see if you can find one for that specific situation.

7. Nov 6, 2016 #6
    Yes I have looked at both pages but both pages only talk about whether mixed second derivatives are equal at a specific point. I want to know whether fxy and fyx will always look the same in their function forms...

8. Nov 6, 2016 #7

pasmith

Homework Helper

Well, that would require them to be equal at every point, so ...

9. Nov 6, 2016 #8

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That means that ##f_x## and ##f_y## are continuous, hence they must be equal. So, that is impossible.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted