Are the functions for mixed derivative always equal?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of having a function where the mixed partial derivatives fxy and fyx are not equal at a specific point, but the question is whether they will always be equal in their function forms. The references provided suggest that for them to be equal, certain conditions must be met and therefore it is not possible for a function to have fxy and fyx be unequal in their function forms.
Aldnoahz
Hi all, I understand that the mixed partial derivative at some point may not be equal if the such mixed partial derivative is not continuous at the point, but are the actual functions of mixed partial derivatives always equal? In other words, if I simply compute the mixed partial derivatives without using the limit definition or in the point, do I get the same functions which are discontinuous only at the critical point?

Physics news on Phys.org
If I simply compute the mixed partial derivatives without using the limit definition...
How would you go about computing any derivative without using the limit definition?
The limit definition is what a derivative is...

Can you express your question as a mathematical statement.
ie. ##\partial_{xy}f(x,y) \neq \partial_{yx}f(x)## says the mixed partials of function f are not the same if the order of differentiation is reversed.
Is this what you mean by "the mixed partial derivative at some point may not be equal"?

are the actual functions of mixed partial derivatives always equal [to what?]?
... a function of mixed partials would be like ##f(g_1,g_2):\; g_1=\partial_{xy}g(x,y),\; g_2=\partial_{yx}g(x,y)##, is that what you mean?

In other words, if I simply compute the mixed partial derivatives [of what?] without using the limit definition or in the point, do I get the same functions [as what?] which are discontinuous only at the critical point?
I am not clear on the question here:
Are you asking: if ##g(x,y)## has discontinuity point p, do ##g_1## and ##g_2## also have discontinuities at point p?

Sorry about the confusion. What I want to ask is that, for example, is it possible to have a function f(x,y) such that fxy = x while fyx = y ?

See how much clearer it is when you use maths as a language?
Take a look at the references in post #3 and see if you can find one for that specific situation.

Yes I have looked at both pages but both pages only talk about whether mixed second derivatives are equal at a specific point. I want to know whether fxy and fyx will always look the same in their function forms...

Aldnoahz said:
Yes I have looked at both pages but both pages only talk about whether mixed second derivatives are equal at a specific point. I want to know whether fxy and fyx will always look the same in their function forms...

Well, that would require them to be equal at every point, so ...

Aldnoahz said:
Sorry about the confusion. What I want to ask is that, for example, is it possible to have a function f(x,y) such that fxy = x while fyx = y ?

That means that ##f_x## and ##f_y## are continuous, hence they must be equal. So, that is impossible.

1. What is a mixed derivative?

A mixed derivative is a derivative of a function with respect to two or more variables. It measures the rate of change of a function with respect to one variable while holding the other variables constant.

2. Are the functions for mixed derivative always equal?

No, the functions for mixed derivative are not always equal. The equality of mixed derivatives depends on the order of differentiation and the smoothness of the function.

3. What is the order of differentiation in mixed derivatives?

The order of differentiation in mixed derivatives refers to the number of variables with respect to which the function is being differentiated. For example, a second-order mixed derivative would involve differentiating a function with respect to two variables.

4. How is a mixed derivative calculated?

A mixed derivative is calculated by taking the derivative of a function with respect to one variable and then taking the derivative of that result with respect to another variable. The order in which the variables are differentiated matters and can affect the outcome.

5. When are the functions for mixed derivative equal?

The functions for mixed derivative are equal when the order of differentiation is reversed. In other words, if the first derivative is taken with respect to x and then the second derivative is taken with respect to y, the result will be the same as if the first derivative was taken with respect to y and then the second derivative was taken with respect to x.