Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Are two charges always in electrostatic equilibrium?

1. May 16, 2015 #1

kay

What I studied was that the force on one charge due to another equal charge in the system of two charges was, (say) F; whereas the force on the other charge due to the first charge was found out to be -F. Hence they add up to be zero. So can I say that the two equal charges are in electrostatic equilibrium or to generalise any two equal charges are in electrostatic equilibrium?
    (using coulomb's law)

Last edited: May 16, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. May 16, 2015 #2
    F and -F are equal in magnitude but opposite in direction.

Does that mean an equilibrium has been obtained?
    ( ie do 2 free electrons separated by a distance d and having F and -F acting on them continue to be separated by distance d? )

4. May 16, 2015 #3

kay

I don't think so...

5. May 16, 2015 #4
    So the two charges would not be in static equilibrium if they are both free to move about.

What if the charges were in a conductor.
    Could an electrostatic equilibrium be reached in a conductor? And where would the charges then be located?

You may want to re-visit the definition of electrostatic equilibrium, such as
    from
    http://www.physicsclassroom.com/Class/estatics/u8l4d.cfm

( so, from you first post, the F and -F might not be enough to designate an electrostatic equilibrium situation for the charges )

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook