Electric field inside hollow conductor with a charge

• B
  • Thread starter Tiago3434
  • Start date
  • Tags
    electrostatics
Tiago3434
Ok, this might be a really dumb question, but I still am asking it: I was reading about gauss' Law when it comes to a hollow conductor with a (say) point charge inside it, and it seems intuitive to me that, in electrostatic equilibrium, the charges rearrange themselves to cancel the electric field inside it, after all, if there were a nonzero electric field, there would be acceleration, which violates the idea that the system is in electrostatic equilibrium. Here is the q: is there a reason (or intuition, perhaps) as to why the charges don't rearrange themselves to cancel all electric field inside it, including inside the cavity, where the point charge lies?

Answers and Replies

For this to happen, you would need a charge density in the shell which produces an electric field inside the shell with the form ##-kq/r^{2}\;\hat{r}## to cancel out the electric field from the point charge. However, there is no arrangement of charge density in a spherical shell which can produce such an electric field inside the shell.

...after all, if there were a nonzero electric field, there would be acceleration, which violates the idea that the system is in electrostatic equilibrium.
A charge is not affected by the electric field that it produces, so no acceleration.

The charges cant go just anywhere. By definition of a "hollow" conductor, they are constrained to move only inside the conductor. If not, they would move to the place where you placed your internal charge and cancel it out.