Revisiting the Role of Unions: A Debate on Necessity and Power

• News
  • Thread starter Alfi
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the role of unions in protecting the labor force and whether they are still necessary in today's society. One person argues that unions have fulfilled their original purpose and are now intermediaries in worker/management relations, while the other believes that unions still have too much power and are necessary for protecting workers from exploitation. Both share personal experiences, with one highlighting the benefits and protections provided by a union contract and the other pointing out the productivity and pay differences between union and non-union workers. The conversation ends with a question as to whether unions are necessary and a counter argument that successful companies are often non-union.

I can see perhaps a rationale for a union in a small one industry, one factory town, like Homestead which started it all. The best defense against labor abuse is not the government but the economic freedom to walk and do well elsewhere. That defense appears thin in on factory town.

Physics news on Phys.org

mheslep said:
I can see perhaps a rationale for a union in a small one industry, one factory town,
The problem is that the industries are global so the Earth is a single factory town.
I would rather the airline pilots association had a strike over safety standards at airline X rather than an individual pilot simply moving to airline Y and being replaced.

Pretty much all the safety standards in heavy industry came about as a result of unions - you only have to look at the accident rates on something like the Hoover dam compared to a modern project. You could make the work cheaper by reducing wages, working conditions and safety/environmental standards - but so can your competitors. It depends wether you want to try and compete with Germany or chinese prison labor.

Yes unions damaged some industries by taking a big chunk of money when times were good, but so did CEOs and shareholders.

Are we confusing the need for unions with the right to have unions? In many industries there is no longer a need, but most of the civilized world (whatever that is) has recognized collective bargaining as a basic human right for decades. It's somewhat akin to arguing that, since we have the internet, we can abolish freedom of the press.

And, where are the bright lines between the USWA, the AFT, and the AMA?

And, which unions are really so strong now as to cause a major problem? The days when the Teamsters could maintain an effective picket line by simply posting signs are long gone.

Why is this a perennial issue? Is there another question lurking beneath this one?

Last edited:

TVP45 said:
Are we confusing the need for unions with the right to have unions? In many industries there is no longer a need, but most of the civilized world (whatever that is) has recognized collective bargaining as a basic human right for decades. It's somewhat akin to arguing that, since we have the internet, we can abolish freedom of the press.

And, where are the bright lines between the USWA, the AFT, and the AMA?

And, which unions are really so strong now as to cause a major problem? The days when the Teamsters could maintain an effective picket line by simply posting signs are long gone.

Why is this a perennial issue? Is there another question lurking beneath this one?
Much of the abuse these days (apart from sweat-shops, indentured servitude, etc) comes in the form of chiseling at the retail level. A young woman that I know worked for a chain supermarket (Hannaford) and, like about everyone outside of management, she was restricted to 32 hours a week, so she did not qualify for overtime, nor any benefits. However, she was honest, fast, and accurate in the accounting necessary to cash up the registers at the end of the day, so the manager moved her to the last shift of the day, and as the other cashiers were punching out and going home, she was forced to punch out, then cash up (reconcile) the trays from every register, with no additional pay. Eventually, she complained about having to work "off the clock" for no pay (while still having to pay a sitter for the extra time to care for her little girl) and the manager retaliated by slashing her hours. After a couple of weeks, she asked to have her scheduled hours re-instated, and she was told she could once again get a 32-hour/wk schedule if she agreed to cash up the registers every night. She agreed, because she had no other way to support herself and her child, at the time. I know this because her new boyfriend (they married eventually) was on my crew on the paper machine, and he was so mad, he was beside himself.

When local papers started carrying stories about Wal-Mart pulling the same crap, I was not a bit surprised. BTW, our next Sec'y of State worked for the Rose Law Firm, whose efforts at keeping unions out of Wal-Mart are well-documented. Hillary is no friend of the labor movement.

mgb_phys said:
The problem is that the industries are global so the Earth is a single factory town.
If there are both Pepsi and Coke factories in the my town and Pepsi gets nasty I can walk and theoretically go to Coke, regardless if Coke is local or global.

Pretty much all the safety standards in heavy industry came about as a result of unions - you only have to look at the accident rates on something like the Hoover dam compared to a modern project.
It may be so, but that is not evidence the unions are responsible for the improved accident rate.

You could make the work cheaper by reducing wages, working conditions and safety/environmental standards - but so can your competitors. It depends wether you want to try and compete with Germany or chinese prison labor.
Perhaps in some fields but that is not at all necessarily true. Increasingly in the US the most valuable asset in a company is its people; acquiring, training, and retaining them the greatest expense. Losing people through job related injuries is thus expensive.

only people have rights
the idea that a CORP should have rights
is wrong

while CORPS ARE NOT PURE EVIL
THEY ARE AT BEST AMORAL
and many CORPs have done many EVIL THINGS

the neoconned support any fool idea that the CORPs think
will give them more power to make more money
union bashing is a major pillar of that kind of ''thinking''
just like the VOODOO ECONOMIC'S OF TAX CUTS
and so called ''FREE TRADE'' IDEAS
so now we have a new depression
thanks to the neo-conned crusade to de-regulate everything

so yes we need unions
what we don't need is neo-conned fools
trying to cut protections to get the CORPs more rights and cash

TVP45 said:
Are we confusing the need for unions with the right to have unions?
This question has come up a few times.
If I put my self into the shoes of a person that starts a small business and grows it by hard work and good money management, I find it a hard pill to swallow that I can't just hire or fire anyone I want based on their work and team acceptance. I understand that one should not be able to fire someone simply based on the sex/religion/colour issues. ( I don't know how to say that in proper terms. I hope you get my gist. How a person fits in with everyone else should count for something. )

I still haven't been convinced that forming a union is a 'right'.
If I were that company owner and was facing a union recruiter, ( pre-supossing that I have been fair and just to my employees ) I would just tell them to stick it, shut down and reopen as a new company and only hire the people that wanted and were happy to work for me.

I agree that as soon as some company becomes a faceless CORP then the rules have changed, and the CORP should not be able to block a union forming.
Please note, I'm not thinking in term of limited liabilities and corporate tax issues that some companies consider when incorporating. I'm thinking more of size and direct/indirect control issues.
I'm tending to think along the lines of, if a corp can be a faceless management then they should be able to bargain with faceless workers. The two deserve each other.
so yes we need unions
what we don't need is neo-conned fools
trying to cut protections to get the CORPs more rights and cash
I'll take that as an emotional response as opposed to a thought out point to consider.

Please don't get this thread shut down due to emotions or outbursts. Thank you.

My, Our, OP was to debate the modern day use of unions and if they still have the same purpose.

Last edited by a moderator:

I owned my company for over 17 years. (Technically, I still own it, but it's been dormant for 11 years.) While I never had any employees, I know that there's no way in the world they would be allowed to dictate how I conducted business. This is how much I pay, these are the benefits, these are the hours that you work; take it or hit the road.
Our current biggest employer, the local sawmill, had some idiots come in from who-knows-where and try to unionize them about 10 years ago. The employees unanimously told them to go **** themselves. The unionizers left with their tails between their legs and the workers carried on in a very fair and pleasant environment. Some of my friends have been working there for 30 years, and none of them feel the least bit oppressed. They were horrified at the thought of union goons taking control of them.

mgb_phys said:
...Pretty much all the safety standards in heavy industry came about as a result of unions - you only have to look at the accident rates on something like the Hoover dam compared to a modern project. ...
Here's a fatalities in the workplace chart starting in 1900 for coal and other mining industries. Shows the onset of various technological and procedural improvements. Also note that OSHA didn't come into existence until 1971.
http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/figures/M822A1F5.GIF

turbo-1 said:
BTW, our next Sec'y of State worked for the Rose Law Firm, whose efforts at keeping unions out of Wal-Mart are well-documented. Hillary is no friend of the labor movement.
The Secretary of State has very little to do with labor law. That is the realm of the Secretary of Labor. Obama's appointee for Secretary of Labor, Hilda Solis, is markedly pro-union. For example, see http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0109/17253.html and http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/front/la-me-solis9-2009jan09,0,5487953.story.

There are 2 sides to every story. Most are probably familiar with Walmart's issues. i found this documentary to be enlightening:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/walmart/

I know people who've worked for Walmart, and NO ONE gets full time with benefits, hence the reason Virginia (I believe?) passed that insurance law targeted at Walmart. Walmart alone is a good reason for Unions.

ON THE OTHER HAND..

Unions CAN be detrimental to a business. I've had some personal interaction with UAW folks, and some of the highlights include:

slowness: If a lightbulb needs to be changed, they need an hour to get the lightbulb, 30 minutes to get to the socket, and an hour to get back- with a 15 minute "standard" break in between.

Arrogance: Many are cocky and they let you know it. They make a lot of money, and don't mind telling you exactly how much, and they let you know that you're not the boss of them (unprompted, no matter you attitude towards them) and that they will do their task "when they get around to it"

Laziness: I recall in one building I used to work at there was a certain older union person who would drive near the building I was in, which was part of a large complex, drive to the back out of sight, and proceed to sleep in his car-not for a short nap, but the entire afternoon-every single day. This went on for weeks and weeks- maybe longer but I finally moved to a different building- people in my building would comment and joke about it, because we could see him from our building, but security (and his boss I imagine) could not.

beaureaucratic: If a union member who's an engineer walks by and sees a pencil on the floor, and he picks it up, he gets yelled at, because according to the union rules, by doing that he is taking away the union janitor's job function. I was not allowed to carry anything heavier than a book by union rules because I was taking away a union members job- despite the fact that putting a union request in usually took days, if not weeks.

I don't mean to say that there are no hard working, committed union workers that do their jobs well, but there's a prevailing attitude of indifference and overconfidence-at least from what I've seen and heard. Many are supremely confident that it's nearly impossible to loose their jobs, and until the recent economic shift they were right in most cases. I have many other stories and examples, but I just wanted to make a point. This is the ugly side of unions that gets downplayed. I ecountered many of the above examples over the years.

Zantra said:
There are 2 sides to every story. Most are probably familiar with Walmart's issues. i found this documentary to be enlightening:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/walmart/

I know people who've worked for Walmart, and NO ONE gets full time with benefits, hence the reason Virginia (I believe?) passed that insurance law targeted at Walmart. Walmart alone is a good reason for Unions.

ON THE OTHER HAND..

Unions CAN be detrimental to a business. I've had some personal interaction with UAW folks, and some of the highlights include:

slowness: If a lightbulb needs to be changed, they need an hour to get the lightbulb, 30 minutes to get to the socket, and an hour to get back- with a 15 minute "standard" break in between.

Arrogance: Many are cocky and they let you know it. They make a lot of money, and don't mind telling you exactly how much, and they let you know that you're not the boss of them (unprompted, no matter you attitude towards them) and that they will do their task "when they get around to it"

Laziness: I recall in one building I used to work at there was a certain older union person who would drive near the building I was in, which was part of a large complex, drive to the back out of sight, and proceed to sleep in his car-not for a short nap, but the entire afternoon-every single day. This went on for weeks and weeks- maybe longer but I finally moved to a different building- people in my building would comment and joke about it, because we could see him from our building, but security (and his boss I imagine) could not.

beaureaucratic: If a union member who's an engineer walks by and sees a pencil on the floor, and he picks it up, he gets yelled at, because according to the union rules, by doing that he is taking away the union janitor's job function. I was not allowed to carry anything heavier than a book by union rules because I was taking away a union members job- despite the fact that putting a union request in usually took days, if not weeks.

I don't mean to say that there are no hard working, committed union workers that do their jobs well, but there's a prevailing attitude of indifference and overconfidence-at least from what I've seen and heard. Many are supremely confident that it's nearly impossible to loose their jobs, and until the recent economic shift they were right in most cases. I have many other stories and examples, but I just wanted to make a point. This is the ugly side of unions that gets downplayed. I ecountered many of the above examples over the years.

I agree about work rules being a burden in some instances. But, I must point out that it always takes two signatures on a labor contract. The automakers agreed to some real "sweetheart" contracts over the years, secure in the knowledge that, no matter what the cost, they could just pass that cost along to the consumer, so long as all the automakers had the same contract more or less (Who knew Asians could build cars?) The Big Three are sort of like the guy who's been drunk for forty years and now complains his liver is acting up.

The world wouldn't be the same without the French having the right to burn our sheep and cows.

The Dagda said:
The world wouldn't be the same without the French having the right to burn our sheep and cows.
ummmm . too obscure for me. I don't understand what you are saying in that sentence.
I can't quite see what burning cows or sheep have to do with unions.

I am starting to hear more about the Employee Free Choice Act

Here's Why We Need the Employee Free Choice Act
It’s time to restore the freedom to form unions and bargain for a better life.

* America's Working Families Are Struggling
* Corporations and CEOs Have All the Power
* Workers in Unions Can Bargain for a Better Life

from Wiki :
The Employee Free Choice Act (EFCA) is legislation in the United States which aims to "amend the National Labor Relations Act to establish an efficient system to enable employees to form, join, or assist labor organizations, to provide for mandatory injunctions for unfair labor practices during organizing efforts, and for other purposes."
On March 1, 2007, the House of Representatives passed the act by a vote of 241 to 185. The Senate on June 26, 2007 voted 51 to 48 on a motion to invoke cloture on the motion to proceed to consider the bill. The bill failed to pass during the 110th United States Congress because of the 60 votes required to enforce cloture, which may be possible to obtain in the 111th United States Congress.[4]

Alfi said:
ummmm . too obscure for me. I don't understand what you are saying in that sentence.
I can't quite see what burning cows or sheep have to do with unions.

Talking about the Unions blockading traffic into France, taking out animals from lorries and burning them as a union protest.

First, let me say that when I wrote that "I don't understand 'necessary'", I meant it. I still don't. What is meant by that? I can't agree that unions (banks, roads, food) are necessary until I know what is meant. That's not a dig against (or a support of) unions, just a question for the original poster.

turbo-1 said:
Unions (in my particular case) were instrumental in "selling" some very restrictive work rules and onerous schedules to their members in return for delivering some fair wages, retirement benefits, etc.

What do you mean when you say "fair wages"? Fair compared to what similar workers got elsewhere (what I call "market wages")? Fair compared to the year's profits (below market wages in a bad year for that sector, above market wages for a good year)? Fair compared to the cost of living, without regard to the amount of work performed? Fair compared to historical wages at the same company? Fair compared to what people at the same company are making (not doubling the pay of the foremen while taking it out of the line workers' wages)?

turbo-1 said:
That might not seem "necessary", but it is surely advantageous for companies to know that they have a stable work-force that can help them deliver value to share-holders in the "long" (3-5 years in the stupid vernacular of US corporations) -term.

But neither unions nor companies can keep their side of the bargain. Workers can decide to not work despite a union's agreement (forming a new union, work slowdowns/stoppages/sit-ins, or simply leaving for other jobs). Companies can have governments void contracts or can go into bankruptcy proceedings to do the same. And government regulations can change the cost per worker (mostly up, but sometimes down) without allowing the company (or in those rare cases, the union) to renegotiate. Say a union and company agree to a five-year contract with $18/hour wages alongside a particular benefits package, then the government removes an expensive safety requirement that was costing the company $3/hour/worker. The union doesn't get to negotiate (until 5 years later) to get either the same safety features (even though they're no longer required), or some amount of the savings in wages -- unfair to the workers.

turbo-1 said:
The guys at the top of the corporate ladder are never wrong ... see any patterns?

Who is saying that? I've never heard those words ("The guys at the top of the corporate ladder are never wrong"), or anything to their effect, from any person except mockingly. That's a strawman.

CRGreathouse said:
First, let me say that when I wrote that "I don't understand 'necessary'", I meant it. I still don't. What is meant by that? I can't agree that unions (banks, roads, food) are necessary until I know what is meant. That's not a dig against (or a support of) unions, just a question for the original poster.
I am the original poster and the question came about from a conversion about unions by my wife and I.
My original argument went along the lines that originally the unions formed to stop companies from using unsafe work practices. The unions then caused laws to be enacted to protect workers. ( no, I am not going to try to find which specific ones ) Therefore the unions have served there purpose and are no longer needed for the role of worker guardians.
My wife's position is that if the unions were to be phased out, companies will once again force conditions upon workers that are not safe or fair ( subject to a definition of fair as noted in the post above) . Unions are ( so it would seem from the talk about WallMart ) still required to protect the worker from the faceless corporations that would put profit above work conditions.

I choose 'necessary' as the word in the title to be the focal point of discussion.
I have read some convincing testimonials that it may be indeed detrimental to the general workforce if the laws and lawyers are the only buffer between workers and employers.

I have conceded to her that unions still have a value in today's society and she has conceded to me that some unions have outgrown their original purpose and have an excessive amount of power.

We did not expect the question to have a cut and dry yes or no answer and the variety of posted viewpoints has shown this, to us, to be true.:)

The Dagda said:
Talking about the Unions blockading traffic into France, taking out animals from lorries and burning them as a union protest.

That sounds less like a 'union protest' and more like a bunch of criminals with no regard to other peoples property. And, depending on how the killing/burning was done ( I presume they were not burned alive ) , no regard to life.
If such actions were sanctioned by union leaders, I hope they paid large fines and were jailed for inciting criminal activities. This would be an example of a union that has over stepped it's purpose.
If this was not a union led action then it has nothing to do with unions and only to do with stupid people behaving like idiots.

I did a quick search but have not found anything about the 'action' you indicated.

Alfi said:
I am the original poster and the question came about from a conversion about unions by my wife and I.
My original argument went along the lines that originally the unions formed to stop companies from using unsafe work practices. The unions then caused laws to be enacted to protect workers. ( no, I am not going to try to find which specific ones ) Therefore the unions have served there purpose and are no longer needed for the role of worker guardians.
My wife's position is that if the unions were to be phased out, companies will once again force conditions upon workers that are not safe or fair ( subject to a definition of fair as noted in the post above) . Unions are ( so it would seem from the talk about WallMart ) still required to protect the worker from the faceless corporations that would put profit above work conditions.

I choose 'necessary' as the word in the title to be the focal point of discussion.
I have read some convincing testimonials that it may be indeed detrimental to the general workforce if the laws and lawyers are the only buffer between workers and employers.

I have conceded to her that unions still have a value in today's society and she has conceded to me that some unions have outgrown their original purpose and have an excessive amount of power.

We did not expect the question to have a cut and dry yes or no answer and the variety of posted viewpoints has shown this, to us, to be true.

:)
I'm semi-retired, and have never been a union member. I think that the ability of people to form unions and collectively bargain shouldn't be infringed upon by legislation ("phased out"?) or coercion of any sort. Otherwise, we would be taking a BIG step backward.

As has been mentioned, sometimes all that's needed is the mere threat of unionization.

Score this one for your wife. :smile:

Alfi said:
That sounds less like a 'union protest' and more like a bunch of criminals with no regard to other peoples property. And, depending on how the killing/burning was done ( I presume they were not burned alive ) , no regard to life.
If such actions were sanctioned by union leaders, I hope they paid large fines and were jailed for inciting criminal activities. This would be an example of a union that has over stepped it's purpose.
If this was not a union led action then it has nothing to do with unions and only to do with stupid people behaving like idiots.

I did a quick search but have not found anything about the 'action' you indicated.

Oh it happened, don't worry about that, I don't know if it was officially sanctioned, probably only the blockades were. But in France the unions do have a great deal of power.

Alfi said:

Thanks for the clarification. In that case, I would say that unions are no longer necessary:* appropriately safe conditions should be ensured by a combination of laws already passed, wage competition, and the unusually high amount of worker capital.**

But as I pointed out in my first post on page 1, unions still increase the total payment to labor. So in the sense "do unions still benefit workers", I would say yes -- on the whole, unions are still good for workers. There are times that companies fail because of supracompetitive wage payments, but even then the loss to the company is greater than the loss to the workers.

* Here, I limit my answer to the United States. I don't know enough about the situation of labor in other countries, but I would suspect that even many advanced economies like South Korea may still require unions for your purpose.
** US workers make substantially more money per hour than workers elsewhere in the world. This is not because of any lost love between companies and workers, but because US workers are more productive. This productivity is called 'worker capital', and companies find worker capital is worth protecting (like any other asset). If labor had uniform human capital, then companies would value the protection of employees at zero (they'd be protected only as part of their compensation package, essentially).

ThomasT said:
I'm semi-retired, and have never been a union member. I think that the ability of people to form unions and collectively bargain shouldn't be infringed upon by legislation ("phased out"?) or coercion of any sort. Otherwise, we would be taking a BIG step backward.

I'm confused. Is anyone talking about removing that power?

ThomasT said:
Score this one for your wife. :smile:
lol - I'll tell her.

Some stories show me the unions are still required. Other stories show how some unions are step away from organized crime mobs.

Unions must use some restraint or find themselves being restrained.

Right now, somewhere, a teachers union is making life hell for a bunch of students.
Ontario's largest teachers' union has a strike fund of almost $100 million in hand if it decides to go to the picket line.
a $100 Million of the members money!
How did you get 100 Million out of those low paid overworked teachers?
http://news.guelphmercury.com/News/article/427600

Collectively they ( unions ) may be needed, but individually they can be a right pain in the ...
economic recovery sympathy package.
Catholic, French and secondary school teachers have all settled contracts with the province that will see them get a salary increase of more than 12 per cent over four years.

The Ministry of Education is now offering public elementary teachers a four per cent increase over two years.
It's almost a children thing of 'but they got more' cry cry. I want more! I want MORE than they got because ..!.. ( insert contract offer here )
or I'll hold my breath till you die.

I will not concede to my wife completely.
Some unions are no longer necessary.

CRGreathouse said:
I'm not sure what the OP meant by unions being "phased out", and didn't see how that could be done without some sort of prohibitive legislation or tacitly government-sanctioned coercion.

What power?

Phased out.? hmmmm - as just an evolution of the union's functions.
I see an enhanced role of the dept of HR ( human resources) that many companies have.

Can unions be replaced by altering the HR function of some companies?

CRGreathouse said:
The right to form unions and bargain collectively is under assault everywhere in the US. The latest battleground is the check-card fiction, which was used by business PACs to attack Susan Collins' opponent in her Senatorial race last fall. About every 30 minutes or less, we would see a commercial in which a very large stern Italian gentleman would coerce an individual worker to vote for union representation, and we were told that workers would lose their right to use secret ballots in such voting. Republicans in Congress are still pushing that fiction. The option of using check-offs to opt for collective bargaining would be in addition to the option of using secret ballots, and it would make it more difficult for companies to harass and intimidate workers who might want to form a union.

Last edited:

Alfi said:
What power?

Phased out.? hmmmm - as just an evolution of the union's functions.
I see an enhanced role of the dept of HR ( human resources) that many companies have.

Can unions be replaced by altering the HR function of some companies?

The problem with our economy isn't that workers have too much power, it's that they have too little power.

Abuses by workers or their union representatives are small compared to abuses by owners, executives and managers that diminishing any power that workers still have would entail.

A relatively few people benefit at the expense of the mass of consumers primarily because prices are allowed to arbitrarily rise without associated incremental increases in workers wages.

The best defense against this is unionization, or the real threat of it.

Or, you could freeze, or place severe limitations on increasing, prices.

ThomasT said:
The problem with our economy isn't that workers have too much power, it's that they have too little power.

Abuses by workers or their union representatives are small compared to abuses by owners, executives and managers that diminishing any power that workers still have would entail.

A relatively few people benefit at the expense of the mass of consumers primarily because prices are allowed to arbitrarily rise without associated incremental increases in workers wages.

The best defense against this is unionization, or the real threat of it.

Or, you could freeze, or place severe limitations on increasing, prices.

While I agree that executive compensation is way out of whack compared to any value they bring to that organization, I don't think socialization is the way to address that, and it sounds like that's what you're hinting at. I think a system that rewards hard work and punishes laziness is a just system. Guaranteeing wages to those who don't really earn it means someone else has to compensate by doing 2 or 3 times the work because in a balanced system, the slack must be taken up by someone. For every union worker there are 5 non union workers pulling double and triple shifts to keep their jobs. And what happens when everyone jumps on the same band wagon and there's no one left to pick up the slack? The big 3 tumble because they can't afford to sustain white collar wages for blue collar workers indefinitely or through economic valleys.

IMHO, there needs to be a balance between sweat shops and cake walks. $30/hour is the true hourly wage give or take, that a seasoned union auto worker brings home, with lots of perks. That's $62K/year, PLUS they get generous overtime, so 6 figures is not uncommon-they make as much as doctors and lawyers-for what amounts to putting one specific section of a car together day in and out without variation. How many with Bachelors degrees make less? How many with Masters? Unions overvalue workers and are one of the main reasons US automakers can't remain competetive (I know, old news). While the concept of a union is good, there need to be checks for the unions that tie compensation and job security more directly to company performance.

Of course arrogant automakers trying to push SUVs down everyone's throats even after gas spiked and people stopped buying them didn't help either. They were the architects of their own demise. I guess you CAN'T always tell the people what they should want, eh Mr. Ford?:-p

Just my thoughts..

Zantra said:
IMHO, there needs to be a balance between sweat shops and cake walks. $30/hour is the true hourly wage give or take, that a seasoned union auto worker brings home, with lots of perks. That's $62K/year, PLUS they get generous overtime, so 6 figures is not uncommon-they make as much as doctors and lawyers-for what amounts to putting one specific section of a car together day in and out without variation. How many with Bachelors degrees make less? How many with Masters? Unions overvalue workers and are one of the main reasons US automakers can't remain competetive (I know, old news). While the concept of a union is good, there need to be checks for the unions that tie compensation and job security more directly to company performance.
There are already checks in place that tie union compensation to performance. Companies that cannot compete, fail and they cannot pay their workers. That is not a short-term surgical hit, but a real, predictable, long-term consequence.

American workers are very productive, and have been for many years. Collective bargaining has not brought the American auto industry to where it is today (lots of inefficient, expensive vehicles loaded with unnecessary goodies that are hard to sell in a bad economy). The workers only build what their management tells them to build. Bad production choices are made and promulgated very high up in these companies by people who are decidedly non-union. After their plans fail, the blame always gets assigned to the "greedy unions". Guess what? Every time a labor contract is signed, the union representatives sign off on it, AND the company signs off on it. The company thought that the contract was a good deal or they would not have signed up. Then, when things turn down a bit, they howl to the public and to the stock-holders about the evil unions.

turbo-1 said:
The company thought that the contract was a good deal or they would not have signed up.

All that means is that the company thought the contract was better than the alternatives - such as a strike.

I'm not saying that unions are to blame for the current state of the auto industry. In fact they are just one catalyst among many, and the blame ultimately falls on the overconfident auto executives who did not react fast enough, if at all, to changing consumer needs. If they had refreshed their lines a decade ago to be more fuel efficient, cost effective, and dependable they could have remained competative even in this economy, and we might be having a different conversation. I think auto execs realize that when a strike costs them millions of dollars per day, and times are good, it's cheaper to pay off the blackmailers then to stick to their guns.

As for unions, you can't blame the tiger for eating the meat when it's placed in front of him. But maybe the tiger should at least have to put up a fight to get his reward. It shouldn't take a recession to bring a factor worker's compensation in line with other non union factory jobs. Globalization and this recession means the end of 6 figure blue collar jobs, which is probably for the best. Overcompensation isn't just for executives.