Are Unitary Transformations Always Linear?

In summary, unitary transformations are defined as transformations between Hilbert spaces that preserve inner products. It is possible for all unitary transformations between Hilbert spaces to be bounded linear transformations, as shown by considering the quantity |U(x + y) - U(x) - U(y)|^2 and using the preservation of inner product. Surjectivity is not necessary for linearity in this case.
lunde
Hello, I had a question regarding unitary transformations. The most common definition I see for unitary transformations is defined as a transformation between Hilbert spaces that preserves inner products. I was wondering if all unitary transformations between Hilbert spaces (according to this definition) are necessarily bounded linear transformations. (i.e. [tex]U( \alpha x + \beta y ) = \alpha U x + \beta U y [/tex] and [tex] U \in \mathcal{L} (H_1 , H_2) [/tex].) I have been trying to prove this to myself for the last hour but can't seem to show this for some reason.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try showing that the quantity [tex]|U(x + y) - U(x) - U(y)|^2[/tex] is zero by writing it as an inner product, expanding, and finally using the preservation of the inner product by U.

lunde said:
Hello, I had a question regarding unitary transformations. The most common definition I see for unitary transformations is defined as a transformation between Hilbert spaces that preserves inner products. I was wondering if all unitary transformations between Hilbert spaces (according to this definition) are necessarily bounded linear transformations. (i.e. [tex]U( \alpha x + \beta y ) = \alpha U x + \beta U y [/tex] and [tex] U \in \mathcal{L} (H_1 , H_2) [/tex].) I have been trying to prove this to myself for the last hour but can't seem to show this for some reason.

I think it follows from the linearity of the inner product. One might try to calculate [tex]<U( \alpha x + \beta y ) - \alpha U x + \beta U y,U( \alpha x + \beta y ) - \alpha U x + \beta U y> [/tex], using the axioms of the inner product. If it gives zero, you are home.

Thanks. That's a cool way to show this, and then since it's an isometry it's bounded, great.

Preserving inner product is equivalent to being an isometry, and this implies boundedness and linearity. However, unitary transformations are also (by definition) required to be surjective, or at least have dense range.

How can you show that all surjective isometries between Hilbert spaces are linear?

Surjectivity is not needed for linearity. Every isometry between inner product spaces is linear, as follows from showing that the quantity which element4 wrote equals zero.

FAQ: Are Unitary Transformations Always Linear?

1. What is a unitary transformation?

A unitary transformation is a type of linear transformation that preserves the inner product of vectors. In other words, the length and angles between vectors are preserved after the transformation. This property makes unitary transformations useful in fields such as quantum mechanics and signal processing.

2. Are unitary transformations always linear?

Yes, unitary transformations are always linear. This means that the transformation of a linear combination of vectors is equal to the same linear combination of the transformed vectors. This property is also known as homogeneity.

3. How are unitary transformations different from other types of transformations?

Unlike other types of transformations, unitary transformations preserve the length and angles between vectors. This means that the transformation does not stretch or distort the vectors, making it useful in applications where this property is important.

4. Can a non-linear transformation be unitary?

No, a non-linear transformation cannot be unitary. Unitary transformations must be both linear and preserve the inner product of vectors. Non-linear transformations do not satisfy these properties.

5. What are some applications of unitary transformations?

Unitary transformations have numerous applications in fields such as quantum mechanics, signal processing, and linear algebra. In quantum mechanics, unitary transformations are used to represent the change of state of a quantum system. In signal processing, they are used for filtering and compressing signals. In linear algebra, they can be used to diagonalize matrices and find eigenvalues and eigenvectors.