Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Are you a nerd?

1. Feb 21, 2005 #1
    Are you a nerd?
    The definition from wikipedia:
    I think I am a nerd. But I actually have some friends.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Never been,never will.But sure,when i'm alone,if i'm not working,i'm sleeping.Do nerds sleep as much as i am...?:eek:

Daniel.

P.S.I don't match this one:"(a nerd is a) very intelligent,..."

4. Feb 21, 2005 #3

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think I'm a nerd. I read Slashdot, which claims to be news for nerds. But I know my advisor is a nerd for sure...he made the news, for building a coffee bean roaster out of a vintage, '70s popcorn popper, a pair of thermocouples, variacs, 6-digit HP voltmeters and an old DOS computer, running an algorithm that he'd written up for the temperature control.

[​IMG]

I've never seen caffeine dependence listed as a criterion for nerditude (or is it geekiness?) - that's just wrong.

5. Feb 21, 2005 #4
    Im not a nerd in the sense that i am very intelligent, because im not. But the highlighted part would be true to me, as (i think) Im getting into a deeper and deeper state of despair to say that i have abandoned all of my 'friends'

6. Feb 21, 2005 #5
    Bit this if you can. (No it isn't me)
    [​IMG]

7. Feb 21, 2005 #6
    Ditto. :shy:

8. Feb 21, 2005 #7
    I am slowly trying to become a nerd: I would say that I am an apprentice to a nerd.

9. Feb 21, 2005 #8
    I consider myself more of an intellectual hippy

10. Feb 21, 2005 #9
    I think I am. Whether I qualify with the intelligence criteria is debatable; I certainly fit the rest of the description. I identify more readily with 'geek' than 'nerd'. :blushing:

11. Feb 21, 2005 #10

Clausius2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think I am a Candidate in Philosophy (C.Phil.) in being nerd. Soon I will obtain the Ph.D. in being nerd and I will have completed the process of transforming myself in such an akward guy.

To Daniel I'd say that the process of transformation is unavoidable, wait some time and you'll cross to the dark side with me and those thousands....

12. Feb 21, 2005 #11

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I never have been, and never will be a nerd.

I'm a geek!

13. Feb 21, 2005 #12
  14. Feb 21, 2005 #13
    42.40631 I am lacking in the movies department quite a bit

15. Feb 21, 2005 #14
    I'm a geek, not a nerd.

Caffeine dependence is a definite criterion.

16. Feb 21, 2005 #15
    Never thought of myself as a nerd because nerds have negative connotations associated with them. I instead think of myself as a Renissance Woman.

17. Feb 21, 2005 #16

Ummm....so you marry at 14, are subservient to men, and look like the virgin mary?

18. Feb 21, 2005 #17
    Ack, 42.20907% Geekyness, which makes me a Major Geek. It seems to have gotten higher in the past few years...

19. Feb 21, 2005 #18
    I'm just another freak in the freakdom looking for kicks! :biggrin:

20. Feb 21, 2005 #19
    franznietzsche- no, not quite. :wink:
    The term "Renissance Man" refers to someone who's like da Vinci who has interests accross the board: great at science, great at art, etc. A nerd, on the other hand, specializes more in only one direction.
    And of course I had to change "Man" to "Woman" for obvious reasons. o:)

21. Feb 21, 2005 #20
    Damnit! *rips up application form* I guess I'm not getting into GeekU then eh?

Gah! Stop perverting the english language.

1. It's spelled Renaissance

2. DaVinci was a "Renaissance Man", because he was a man during the Renaissance (it's really that simple), in fact you could even attribute him with starting the bloody movement.

3. You can't just add 'Wo' to anything you want and completely change the meaning for your own petty comments. Bah!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?