Exploring the Debate: Nerd vs Geek

• Thread starter danne89
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Geek
In summary, Daniel is a geek who doesn't fit the traditional definition of a nerd. He's intelligent and has a lot of interests, but he doesn't fit the stereotype of the socially awkward person who is fascinated by knowledge.
Entropy said:
I'm a pirate. Argh!

haha, this turned out to be the first post i saw in this thread. really, it works well. :rofl:

Physics news on Phys.org
44.97041%
I think some answers weigh much more heavily than others. (actually reading the 'How to speak Klingon' book probably boosted my score quite a bit)
arrgh

Math Is Hard said:
Unbelieveable! I was just kidding around but apparently there IS a pirate test! :rofl:

]The pirate Test [/URL]

And I scored pretty good, too (YARRRRHHHH!) - Look at this:

CAPTAIN!
Congratulations! You scored 90%!
CAPTAIN ! yarrrr, ye be worhty to sail ye own boat of pirate scum round the 7 seas! may there be much booty awaitin ye!
82% argh, Eyell be yer ferst mate.

Last edited by a moderator:
YAAARRRRR. :biggrin: I guess I am both a Pirate (First Mate, 86%) and a Geek/Nerd [or a Gerd, Nerk, or Neek] (Major Geek, 42.20907%). Whattdya know...

I think the high score on the Pirate test was because of my unnatural obscession with peg legs, hooks, wenches, and burying things unnecessarily.

Yarrrh! 'Tis a fine crew, it is! Ahoy, mateys! We sail at sunrise! First Mate Tribdog will navigate, our master of the sextant! Other First Mate Motai, up to the crow's nest to stand watch!

S.S. Moonbear! Prepare to be boarded! We come for your gold and bountiful treasures!

ARRRRRRRGGHHH!
Prepare! Boarded! treasurful bounties! Narrrgh! beautiful trounty! bountiry treasful.. Urrgh! brownies full ..rrngh..boontif..tro...rrr...gh. wenches!ARRRGH WENCHES!

Math Is Hard said:
Unbelieveable! I was just kidding around but apparently there IS a pirate test! :rofl:

]The pirate Test [/URL]

And I scored pretty good, too (YARRRRHHHH!) - Look at this:

CAPTAIN!
Congratulations! You scored 90%!
CAPTAIN ! yarrrr, ye be worhty to sail ye own boat of pirate scum round the 7 seas! may there be much booty awaitin ye!

93%

YARRRRR!

But that was largely becuase of me love o' rum.

Found some Grey Goose among the bounty, matey? Pass a swig to yer cap'n! Yarrr tis no bottle of rum, but goes down fine just the same!

tribdog said:
ARRRRRRRGGHHH!
Prepare! Boarded! treasurful bounties! Narrrgh! beautiful trounty! bountiry treasful.. Urrgh! brownies full ..rrngh..boontif..tro...rrr...gh. wenches!ARRRGH WENCHES!

WECHES AND RUM, ALL AROUND YARRRR for ME CREW YARRR!

Welcome aboard, Mate Franz! You are fierce, as a pirate should be!

shiver me timbers, tis a crew to be feared.

Edit: yarrrrr

First Mate
Congratulations! You scored 87%!
captains first mate.yarrrrrrrr ye be second bes at pillagin booty...lets have no thoughts of mutiny mind..

Yarrrr! Somebody's going to be a 'losing his job on this ship! I'm takin' over... :wink:

cepheid said:
First Mate
captains first mate.yarrrrrrrr ye be second bes at pillagin booty...lets have no thoughts of mutiny mind..

Yarrrr! Somebody's going to be a 'losing his job on this ship! I'm takin' over... :wink:

You're outranked you scruvy dog. I be the rankin pirate on this ship, with me 93%.. You'll be a takin' orders from me, or you'll be a walkin' the plakn while i drinks your rum, and help myself to yer wench.

cepheid said:
First Mate

Yarrr.. me knew this issue would be arisin' - was warned in me pirate ship cap'n management seminars... :grumpy:

First Mate Cepheid, you are a valuable crewmember of this ship. I am givin' ye a parrot for yer shoulder to show appreciation. Wear it in good health, and welcome aboard, matey!

Franz, I give ye two wenches and a peg leg!

ARRRRR! Eyell be the first to mate with Cap'n MIH

Math Is Hard said:
Franz, I give ye two wenches and a peg leg!

Makin it two wenches and a fine bottle of rum, and you've got yourself a deal, Arrrrrr.

tribdog said:
ARRRRR! Eyell be the first to mate with Cap'n MIH

Don't be testing my patience you, or walking my plank without any rum or wenches is where you'll be.

Math Is Hard said:
Yarrrh! 'Tis a fine crew, it is! Ahoy, mateys! We sail at sunrise! First Mate Tribdog will navigate, our master of the sextant! Other First Mate Motai, up to the crow's nest to stand watch!

S.S. Moonbear! Prepare to be boarded! We come for your gold and bountiful treasures!

Aaaahhhhrrrr! Ye scurvy scum will be walkin' thar plank if ye don't hand over thar rum!

CAPTAIN!
Congratulations! You scored 92%!

Math Is Hard said:
Yarrr.. me knew this issue would be arisin' - was warned in me pirate ship cap'n management seminars... :grumpy:

First Mate Cepheid, you are a valuable crewmember of this ship. I am givin' ye a parrot for yer shoulder to show appreciation. Wear it in good health, and welcome aboard, matey!

:rofl: Are you sure you want to be captain of a pirate ship? Conflict management skills like that would really be appreciated...elsewhere!

Back into pirate mode: "arrrrgh...you can't fool me cap'n. I knows me an' me parrot'll be swabbing the decks, cleaning up the mess first mate franz makes as he lumbers around drunkenly, spilling rum all over the ship, before his wenches gently lead him belowdecks!" :grumpy:

Damn...that totally lost it's "pirateness" towards the end. I wasn't sure how to say all that in pirate-speak...

"CAPTAIN!
Congratulations! You scored 88%!
CAPTAIN ! yarrrr, ye be worhty to sail ye own boat of pirate scum round the 7 seas! may there be much booty awaitin ye!"

:devil:

Daniel.

cepheid said:
:rofl: Are you sure you want to be captain of a pirate ship? Conflict management skills like that would really be appreciated...elsewhere!

Back into pirate mode: "arrrrgh...you can't fool me cap'n. I knows me an' me parrot'll be swabbing the decks, cleaning up the mess first mate franz makes as he lumbers around drunkenly, spilling rum all over the ship, before his wenches gently lead him belowdecks!" :grumpy:

Damn...that totally lost it's "pirateness" towards the end. I wasn't sure how to say all that in pirate-speak...

Arrr, never in me long legged life have i ever spilt a drop o' rum, and i don't intend to start now! NOw back to the wenches! Arrrr.

Has this thread also just got murdered..?

Anyway, i'd be suprised if other dictionaries had different definitions of 'nerd'

Hi-jacking a thread means not KILLING IT,just refinig it...:tongue2:

Daniel.

CAPTAIN!

ARRRRRHHHHHHHH! I be plundering this here thread and taking all the booty and the wenches! Or do I mean plundering all the wenches booty? ARrrrrrrrrrRRRRRHGHHHHH!

Being a pirate is fun!

cepheid said:

Yer seafarin' hearty talk needs a lot o' work. Yer crew be beginnin' t' wonder if ye`re a captain who downs wi' th' ship or a captain who goes down on his crew.

Just a few tips fer ye ... but first a word t' Math be Hard

Avast me proud beauty! Wanna know why my Roger is so Jolly? (Ya know, darlin, I'm 97 percent chum free). :wink:

As t' ye, cepheid, ye need t' get some quick lernin' http://www.talklikeapirate.com/howto.html

In fact, ye be hopeless. Just use a translation service. http://www.syddware.com/cgi-bin/pirate.pl Ya scurvy dog whut deserves the black spot!

Time t' head fer new waters wi' me entermesser an' me papagei. Veer t' th' backboard, matey. An' don`t delay or it will be zu den Haien schicken, you horn swollgin' scallywag!

Arrggh ... mebbe I'd better light'n up with the rum ... rrrggh

BobG said:
Yer seafarin' hearty talk needs a lot o' work...
Time t' head fer new waters wi' me entermesser an' me papagei. Veer t' th' backboard, matey. An' don`t delay or it will be zu den Haien schicken, you horn swollgin' scallywag!

LMFAO! ARrrrrrrrGHHHHHHHH :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

BobG said:
Yer seafarin' hearty talk needs a lot o' work. Yer crew be beginnin' t' wonder if ye`re a captain who downs wi' th' ship or a captain who goes down on his crew.

Just a few tips fer ye ... but first a word t' Math be Hard

Avast me proud beauty! Wanna know why my Roger is so Jolly? (Ya know, darlin, I'm 97 percent chum free). :wink:

As t' ye, cepheid, ye need t' get some quick lernin' http://www.talklikeapirate.com/howto.html

In fact, ye be hopeless. Just use a translation service. http://www.syddware.com/cgi-bin/pirate.pl Ya scurvy dog whut deserves the black spot!

Oh Mercy! I've got to quit PF'ing at work. I just had to close my door so people wouldn't hear me laughing! :rofl:

p.s. Yarrr, BobG - I've crushed seventeen men's skulls between me thighs! :biggrin:

Math Is Hard said:
p.s. Yarrr, BobG - I've crushed seventeen men's skulls between me thighs! :biggrin:

At least they died happy! Yaaaaarrrrr!

Math Is Hard said:
Well, blow me down. ARrrrrrrrrGhghghghg.
:tongue2:

BobG said:
What's that? The sheriff is near? :rofl: Oh man this was funny BobG.

Artman said:
CAPTAIN!

ARRRRRHHHHHHHH! I be plundering this here thread and taking all the booty and the wenches! Or do I mean plundering all the wenches booty? ARrrrrrrrrrRRRRRHGHHHHH!

Being a pirate is fun!

Touch my wenches and i'll be splittin your gullet and drinkin yer blood, pretty boy.

danne89 said:
Bit this if you can. (No it isn't me)
http://www.griggbros.com/images/team/Geek_Central.jpg
[/URL]
My room:

http://toxicbug.org/myroom2.jpg

Ok your room is messier than mine and you sure do beat me in the printer quantity:rofl:

franznietzsche said:
Touch my wenches and i'll be splittin your gullet and drinkin yer blood, pretty boy.
Arrrrrr. Talk to the parrot; they be my wenches now. ARRRRRrrghhhhh! :tongue:

Arrrrrrr, rn't ye maties supps'd ta bearrr talk'n 'bout ye devil nerds 'nd not de pirates... YARRRHHH! :biggrin: