Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Are your OS/system/background tasks fully multi-threaded through a quad-core CPU?

1. Nov 7, 2009 #1
    I was curious if your OS, and background/system tasks are fully multi-threaded throughout all the Four cores of a quad-core CPU. As well as all Eight threads, if that quad core supports hyper-threading.

Most modern games, like Crysis, are only programmed to be threaded through Two processor cores. Which is why a quad-core CPU doesn't make Crysis run faster.

Are there any games that take full advantage of a quad-core CPU? I heard that Far Cry 2 does.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2009 #2

rcgldr

Homework Helper

I don't know about games, but a video rendering package called Adobe Premeire will use all 4 cores.

4. Nov 9, 2009 #3
    Most games only use one or two cores. Multi-threading can get difficult so most games just don't use it. Professional software programs like adobe, matlab, ansys, comsol, etc have the ability to use all cores and threads.

5. Nov 9, 2009 #4
    Yes. Windows natively supports multicore CPUs back to Windows XP, and schedules threads to fill idle cores appropriately, taking into consideration thread priority. Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del in Windows XP and Ctrl+Shift+Esc in Windows Vista and 7) will show a graph of the load on each CPU.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
  6. Nov 13, 2009 #5
    Sometimes programs can appear to be multi-threading when they are not. The OS can just be alternating between the cores to spread out the load.

7. Nov 13, 2009 #6
    Most modern video games are programmed to only be multi-threaded through Two processor cores. Such as Crysis, for example. Are there any games yet which take full advantage of a quad-core processor?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook