Area Element of Elliptic Cylinder Coordinates

In summary, the area element for elliptic cylinder coordinates can be found by taking the cross product of the two partial derivatives of the parametric equations for the surface and multiplying by the differential values of u and v. The resulting expression is a^2*du*dv*(sinh(u)^2*cos(v)^2 + cosh(u)^2*sin(v)^2).
jameson2

Homework Statement

Compute the area element for elliptic cylinder coordinates

Homework Equations

The coordinates are defined as follows:
x=a*cosh(u)*cos(v)
y=a*sinh(u)*sin(v)

The Attempt at a Solution

Starting from the assumption that the area element dA=dx*dy, I found dx and dy:
dx=a*du*sinh(u)*cos(v) - a*cosh(u)*dv*sin(v)
dy=a*du*cosh(u)*sin(v) - a*sinh(u)*dv*cos(v)

Then multiplying these together, to get dA:
dA=[(a^2)*sinh(u)*cosh(u)*sin(v)*cos(v)*(du^2 - dv^2)] +
[(a^2)*du*dv*((sinh(u))^2)*((cos(v))^2) - (cosh(u))^2)*((sin(v))^2)]

I don't like this answer for a couple of reasons. It seems like there should be a tidier, more compact expression than what I have. Compared to surface elements in other coordinate systems, this is frankly a mess. Also, I don't think I've seen a "du^2" in any area element formulae either, which I'm not sure makes it wrong, but I feel a little uneasy about it anyway.

Physics news on Phys.org
When you say "multiplying these together", what kind of product did you use? If a surface is given by parametric equations, x= x(u,v), y= y(u,v), z= z(u,v), then the "position vector" is [itex]\vec{r}= x(u,v)\vec{i}+ y(u,v)\vec{j}+ z(u,v)\vec{k}[/itex], the derivatives in the directions of the u, v axes are [itex]\vec{r}_u= x_u \vec{i}+ y_u\vec{j}+ z_u\vec{k}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{r}_v= x_v \vec{i}+ y_v\vec{j}+ z_v\vec{k}[/itex]. The differential of surface area is the length of the cross product of those two vectors times dudv.

So in vector form: dr/du=(a*sinh(u)*cos(v) , a*cosh(u)*sin(v) , 0)
and dr/dv=(-a*cosh(u)*sin(v) , a*sinh(u)*cos(v) , 0)

Multiplying across by du and dv respectively:
dr=(a*sinh(u)*cos(v)du , a*cosh(u)*sin(v)du , 0) with dr w.r.t "u"
and dr=(-a*cosh(u)*sin(v)dv , a*sinh(u)*cos(v)dv , 0) with dr w.r.t "v"

Then cross product of these vectors gives:
dA=length of the vector: [0,0,(a^2*du*dv*(sinh(u)^2*cos(v)^2 + cosh(u)^2*sin(v)^2))]

And the length of this vector is just the third component, so is this the answer for dA?
It seems a better answer than my original one, and the reasoning behind this method makes perfect sense to me.

dA= a^2*du*dv*(sinh(u)^2*cos(v)^2 + cosh(u)^2*sin(v)^2)

1. What is the area element in elliptic cylinder coordinates?

The area element in elliptic cylinder coordinates is a mathematical concept used to measure the two-dimensional surface area of a curved surface in three-dimensional space. It takes into account the shape and orientation of the surface and is expressed as a product of two length elements, one in the radial direction and one in the angular direction.

2. How is the area element calculated in elliptic cylinder coordinates?

The area element in elliptic cylinder coordinates is calculated using the formula A = r*dθ*dz, where r is the radial length element, θ is the angular length element, and dz is the infinitesimal height element of the curved surface. This formula takes into account the curvature of the surface and provides an accurate measurement of its two-dimensional area.

3. What is the significance of the area element in elliptic cylinder coordinates?

The area element in elliptic cylinder coordinates is important in many fields of science and engineering, including physics, mathematics, and engineering. It is used to calculate quantities such as surface area, volume, and flux in a variety of applications, such as fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and heat transfer.

4. How does the area element differ from other coordinate systems?

The area element in elliptic cylinder coordinates is specific to this particular coordinate system and takes into account its unique geometry. In other coordinate systems, such as Cartesian or polar coordinates, the area element may be calculated differently depending on the shape and orientation of the surface being measured.

5. Can the area element in elliptic cylinder coordinates be generalized to higher dimensions?

Yes, the concept of area element can be extended to higher dimensions, such as four-dimensional space. In this case, it is known as the volume element and takes into account three length elements, one for each spatial dimension, and one infinitesimal element for time. This is used in fields such as relativity and quantum mechanics to calculate physical quantities in four-dimensional space-time.