1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Area Element of Elliptic Cylinder Coordinates

1. Nov 11, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Compute the area element for elliptic cylinder coordinates

2. Relevant equations
    The coordinates are defined as follows:
    x=a*cosh(u)*cos(v)
    y=a*sinh(u)*sin(v)

3. The attempt at a solution
    Starting from the assumption that the area element dA=dx*dy, I found dx and dy:
    dx=a*du*sinh(u)*cos(v) - a*cosh(u)*dv*sin(v)
    dy=a*du*cosh(u)*sin(v) - a*sinh(u)*dv*cos(v)

Then multiplying these together, to get dA:
    dA=[(a^2)*sinh(u)*cosh(u)*sin(v)*cos(v)*(du^2 - dv^2)] +
    [(a^2)*du*dv*((sinh(u))^2)*((cos(v))^2) - (cosh(u))^2)*((sin(v))^2)]

I don't like this answer for a couple of reasons. It seems like there should be a tidier, more compact expression than what I have. Compared to surface elements in other coordinate systems, this is frankly a mess. Also, I don't think I've seen a "du^2" in any area element formulae either, which I'm not sure makes it wrong, but I feel a little uneasy about it anyway.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

When you say "multiplying these together", what kind of product did you use? If a surface is given by parametric equations, x= x(u,v), y= y(u,v), z= z(u,v), then the "position vector" is [itex]\vec{r}= x(u,v)\vec{i}+ y(u,v)\vec{j}+ z(u,v)\vec{k}[/itex], the derivatives in the directions of the u, v axes are [itex]\vec{r}_u= x_u \vec{i}+ y_u\vec{j}+ z_u\vec{k}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{r}_v= x_v \vec{i}+ y_v\vec{j}+ z_v\vec{k}[/itex]. The differential of surface area is the length of the cross product of those two vectors times dudv.

4. Nov 12, 2009 #3
    So in vector form: dr/du=(a*sinh(u)*cos(v) , a*cosh(u)*sin(v) , 0)
    and dr/dv=(-a*cosh(u)*sin(v) , a*sinh(u)*cos(v) , 0)

Multiplying across by du and dv respectively:
    dr=(a*sinh(u)*cos(v)du , a*cosh(u)*sin(v)du , 0) with dr w.r.t "u"
    and dr=(-a*cosh(u)*sin(v)dv , a*sinh(u)*cos(v)dv , 0) with dr w.r.t "v"

Then cross product of these vectors gives:
    dA=length of the vector: [0,0,(a^2*du*dv*(sinh(u)^2*cos(v)^2 + cosh(u)^2*sin(v)^2))]

And the length of this vector is just the third component, so is this the answer for dA?
    It seems a better answer than my original one, and the reasoning behind this method makes perfect sense to me.

dA= a^2*du*dv*(sinh(u)^2*cos(v)^2 + cosh(u)^2*sin(v)^2)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook