Area for cosx on interval [0,2pi]

That's the most efficient way to do it, but if you must use a single integral, you can use:\int_0^{2\pi} (\cos x - 0.5)\ dxwhich gives the same result (and is what your work appears to be trying to do, but I can't be sure).In summary, the question asks to set up a definite integral to represent the area above the graph of f(x)=cosx and the x-axis on the interval [0,2pi]. This can be expressed as \int_0^{2\pi} |\cos x|\ dx or \int_0^{2\pi} (\cos x - 0.5)\ dx. The area can
tjohn101

Homework Statement

f(x)=cosx and the x-axis on the interval [0,2pi]

A) Set up definite integral that represents area above
B) Find area using the fundamental theorem

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

cosxdx [0,2pi]
= sinx [0,2pi]
= sin(2pi)-sin(0)
= 0

Area= (cosxdx [0,pi/2]) - (cosxdx [pi/2,3pi/2]) + (cosxdx [3pi/2,2pi])

Area= (sinx [0,pi/2]) - (sinx [pi/2,3pi/2]) + (sinx [3pi/2,2pi])

Area= (1-0) - (-1-1) + (0-1)
Area= (1) -(-2) + (1)
Area= 4 square units.

So... What do you think? Is it right? And what exactly does the question mean by "Set up definite integral that represents area above"?

Physics news on Phys.org
When it says set up the definite integral it means to do this.

[tex]\int^{2\pi}_{0}cosx dx[/tex]

now you solve it.

I did that, but I didn't know how to type it into the forums. So I made it the cosxdx [0,2pi] and solved from there. What do you think of my answer for the area?

You have the integral correct, check this again though
[tex] sin(2\pi)-sin(0)[/tex]

As you have noted, the area in question is not given by

[tex]\int_0^{2\pi} \cos x\ dx[/tex]

because that gives zero. That formula only works for non-negative integrands. To express it as a single integral you might write:

[tex]\int_0^{2\pi} |\cos x|\ dx[/tex]

which you have properly evaluated by breaking it up to subtract the negative parts.

What is the area for cosx on the interval [0,2pi]?

The area for cosx on the interval [0,2pi] is equal to 2, as cosine function has a period of 2pi and the area under a complete cycle is 2 times the area of one cycle.

How do you find the area for cosx on the interval [0,2pi]?

To find the area for cosx on the interval [0,2pi], you can use the integral of cosx from 0 to 2pi, which is 2.

What is the relationship between the area for cosx on the interval [0,2pi] and the unit circle?

The area for cosx on the interval [0,2pi] is equal to the circumference of the unit circle. This is because the cosine function represents the x-coordinate of a point on the unit circle as it rotates around the origin.

Why is the area for cosx on the interval [0,2pi] considered a transcendental number?

The area for cosx on the interval [0,2pi] is considered a transcendental number because it cannot be expressed as a finite decimal or a fraction. It is an irrational number that continues infinitely without repeating patterns.

How does the area for cosx on the interval [0,2pi] relate to the graph of the cosine function?

The area for cosx on the interval [0,2pi] is equal to the shaded region between the x-axis and the cosine function's graph on the interval [0,2pi]. This area corresponds to the change in the y-values of the cosine function from 0 to 2pi.