1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Area in polar (stuck at the intersection points!)

1. May 30, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    find the area inside both of the curves
    r = 4 cos@
    r = 2+2cos@
    @ = theta

2. Relevant equations
    -------

3. The attempt at a solution
    i will say 4cos@ = 2+2cos@ to find the intersection points
    4cos@ = 2+2cos@
    2cos@ = 2
    cos@ = 1
    @ = 0 !!
    I need the other points!!

2. jcsd
  3. May 30, 2010 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Yes θ=0 is one point. Now just add π/2 to your principal answer of 0 and that will give you another answer.

4. May 30, 2010 #3

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You have to be careful with this type of problem. Eyes can be deceiving. Have you drawn a plot of the two curves? (I will use t for the angle). If so you will have noted that at t = 0 the r for both equations is 4, which is the point you have found. And the graphs both touch at the origin. The trouble is, at the origin t can be anything. And these two graphs do not have r = 0 for the same value of t. That is why you are having trouble finding the other point. What this means is you can't find the area with a single integral of the form

[tex]\frac 1 2 \int_{\alpha}^\beta r_{outer}^2-r_{inner}^2\, dt[/tex]

So do the areas separately, each with their correct limits and subtract the inner area from the outer one. You might notice as t goes from 0 to [itex]2\pi[/itex], one of the curves is traced twice.

5. May 31, 2010 #4
    why Pi/2 and not 2Pi? I would rather have said that cos θ has two easy roots: 0 and 2Pi, and all multiples of 2Pi.

6. May 31, 2010 #5

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Sorry, I was solving cos(t)=0 not 1. You are right it would be 0 and 2π

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook