Area of a hyperbolic paraboloid contained within a cylinder

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 5K views
Juggler123
Messages
80
Reaction score
0
I've posted on this before and have now realized I was doing it completely wrong before but's still bugging me. I have to find the area of the hyperbolic paraboloid z=xy contained within the cylinder x[tex]^{2}[/tex]+y[tex]^{2}[/tex]=1.

I've parametrized x[tex]^{2}[/tex]+y[tex]^{2}[/tex]=1 into polar coordinates to give that dA=d[tex]\theta[/tex]dz

I also know that 0[tex]\leq[/tex][tex]\theta[/tex][tex]\leq[/tex]2[tex]\pi[/tex]

But I'm still having trouble finding the z limits for that part of the integration. Any help would be great. Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It isn't the cylinder you need to parameterize, it's the hyperbolic paraboloid. Incidentally, that part inside the cylinder looks just like a pringle. Try this parameterization:

[tex]\vec{R}(r,\theta) = \langle r*cos(\theta), r*sin(\theta),r^2cos(\theta)sin(\theta)\rangle[/tex]

with
[tex]dS = |\vec{R}_r \times \vec{R}_\theta |dr d\theta[/tex]

where [itex](r, \theta)[/itex] are the usual polar variables in the xy plane.