Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Area of a hyperbolic paraboloid contained within a cylinder

1. Nov 2, 2009 #1
    I've posted on this before and have now realised I was doing it completely wrong before but's still bugging me. I have to find the area of the hyperbolic paraboloid z=xy contained within the cylinder x[tex]^{2}[/tex]+y[tex]^{2}[/tex]=1.

I've parametrized x[tex]^{2}[/tex]+y[tex]^{2}[/tex]=1 into polar coordinates to give that dA=d[tex]\theta[/tex]dz

I also know that 0[tex]\leq[/tex][tex]\theta[/tex][tex]\leq[/tex]2[tex]\pi[/tex]

But I'm still having trouble finding the z limits for that part of the integration. Any help would be great. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2009 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It isn't the cylinder you need to parameterize, it's the hyperbolic paraboloid. Incidentally, that part inside the cylinder looks just like a pringle. Try this parameterization:

[tex]\vec{R}(r,\theta) = \langle r*cos(\theta), r*sin(\theta),r^2cos(\theta)sin(\theta)\rangle[/tex]

with
    [tex]dS = |\vec{R}_r \times \vec{R}_\theta |dr d\theta[/tex]

where [itex](r, \theta)[/itex] are the usual polar variables in the xy plane.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook