Area of a solid generated by revolving a region about an axis.

In summary: I could find the area of the region trivially using the fundamental theorem of calculus. I actually did this on the test without really thinking it through, assuming it would be a problem where I'd have to integrate the area over an interval to get the volume, or use a geometric formula to find the volume of the solid. But since the solid generated isn't a geometric shape I'm familiar with, that doesn't help. This is where I got stuck.But if I'm not mistaken, I should be able to split up the region into four parts. This would simplify it into something I know how to work.The four regions would be bounded by the line x=1, the y-axis, and:
Vectus
Find the volume of the solid generated by revolving the region bounded by y = x2, y = 2-x2, and x = 0 about the y-axis.

I'm taking Calc I and this question was on a test I took yesterday. A couple things about it didn't make much sense, which suggests to me that I'm missing something. I actually got hung up on it and ran out of time before I finished solving it.

Attempted solution:

The first thing I did was graph the equation and find points of intersection.

[PLAIN]http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/8804/graphlp.jpg

First off, the boundary x=0 appears to be extraneous. This doesn't make sense, because my instructor usually does not include any extraneous information on her tests. But ignoring this for now...

From this, I wasn't really sure how to proceed. The problem says to revolve this area around the y-axis.. and since the region is symmetrical with respect to the y-axis, wouldn't the volume of this solid be 0? This really doesn't make sense. Again, my instructor is not one to put trick problems on tests.

I could find the area of the region trivially using the fundamental theorem of calculus. I actually did this on the test without really thinking it through, assuming it would be a problem where I'd have to integrate the area over an interval to get the volume, or use a geometric formula to find the volume of the solid. But since the solid generated isn't a geometric shape I'm familiar with, that doesn't help. This is where I got stuck.

But if I'm not mistaken, I should be able to split up the region into four parts. This would simplify it into something I know how to work.

The four regions would be bounded by the line x=1, the y-axis, and:

x = √(y), x = -√(y), x = √(2-y), and x = -√(2 - y).

Then the volume of the solid would be equivalent to the sum of the volumes of the solids generated by rotating each of the new regions about the y-axis.

V1 = π01 √(y)2 dy
V1 = π01 y dy
V1 = π[ y2/2]01
V1 = π/2V2 = π01 -√(y)2 dy
V2 = -π01 y dy
V2 = -π[ y2/2]01
V2 = -π/2V3 = π12 √(2 - y)2 dy
V3 = π12 2 - y dy
V3 = π[2y - y2/2]12
V3 = π[ ( 2(2) - (2)2/2 ) - ( 2(1) - (1)2/2 ) ]
V3 = π[ ( 2 ) - ( 3/2 ) ]
V3 = π/2V4 = π12 -√(2 - y)2 dy
V4 = -π12 2 - y dy
V4 = -π[2y - y2/2]12
V4 = -π[ ( 2(2) - (2)2/2 ) - ( 2(1) - (1)2/2 ) ]
V4 = -π[ ( 2 ) - ( 3/2 ) ]
V4 = -π/2

Vtotal = V1 + V2 + V3 + V4
Vtotal = π/2 - π/2 + π/2 - π/2
Vtotal = 0

Which is what my intuition told me by looking at the graph. Is this correct? Or should it be: Vtotal = V1 + V3 = π? The whole negative volume thing really messes with my head on some levels, but it seems to me like the first answer is correct. However, as I stated, it seems uncharacteristic of my instructor to give a problem like that, and it's possible I'm wrong and the problem should be interpreted to exclude negative volume, sort of like some 'area between functions' problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Nice graph!
Vectus said:
Find the area of the solid generated by revolving the region bounded by y = x2, y = 2-x2, and x = 0 about the y-axis.

I'm taking Calc I and this question was on a test I took yesterday. A couple things about it didn't make much sense, which suggests to me that I'm missing something. I actually got hung up on it and ran out of time before I finished solving it.

Attempted solution:

The first thing I did was graph the equation and find points of intersection.

[PLAIN]http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/8804/graphlp.jpg

First off, the boundary x=0 appears to be extraneous. This doesn't make sense, because my instructor usually does not include any extraneous information on her tests. But ignoring this for now...
Edit: I completely misread the problem. The region to be revolved is above the x-axis, below the curve y = x^2, and inside the curve y = 2 - x^2.
[STRIKE]Yes, it's extraneous. The region to be revolved is completely defined by the two parabolas.[/STRIKE]
Vectus said:
From this, I wasn't really sure how to proceed. The problem says to revolve this area around the y-axis.. and since the region is symmetrical with respect to the y-axis, wouldn't the volume of this solid be 0?
No. If you have a solid object that takes up space, its volume is a positive number.
Vectus said:
This really doesn't make sense. Again, my instructor is not one to put trick problems on tests.

I could find the area of the region trivially using the fundamental theorem of calculus. I actually did this on the test without really thinking it through, assuming it would be a problem where I'd have to integrate the area over an interval to get the volume, or use a geometric formula to find the volume of the solid. But since the solid generated isn't a geometric shape I'm familiar with, that doesn't help. This is where I got stuck.

But if I'm not mistaken, I should be able to split up the region into four parts. This would simplify it into something I know how to work.
I wouldn't do that. When you set up an integral for a volume of revolution, there are two basic approaches. One approach uses disks or washers, disks with a hole in them, and the other uses cylindrical shells, which are a little like the layers of an onion. The easy approach on this problem is to use washers.

Divide the interval [0, 1] along the y-axis into subintervals of length [itex]\Delta y[/itex]. If you take a horizontal strip that runs from the inner parabola (y = x^2) to the outer parabola (y = 2 - x^2), and then rotate it around the y-axis, you get a "washer" whose volume is its cross-section area times [itex]\Delta y[/itex].

The volume of this typical volume element is pi * [ (outer radius)^2 - (inner radius)^2] * [itex]\Delta y[/itex]. This expression is your integrand, and the limits of integration are 0 and 1.
Vectus said:
The four regions would be bounded by the line x=1, the y-axis, and:

x = √(y), x = -√(y), x = √(2-y), and x = -√(2 - y).

Then the volume of the solid would be equivalent to the sum of the volumes of the solids generated by rotating each of the new regions about the y-axis.

V1 = π01 √(y)2 dy
V1 = π01 y dy
V1 = π[ y2/2]01
V1 = π/2

V2 = π01 -√(y)2 dy
V2 = -π01 y dy
V2 = -π[ y2/2]01
V2 = -π/2

V3 = π12 √(2 - y)2 dy
V3 = π12 2 - y dy
V3 = π[2y - y2/2]12
V3 = π[ ( 2(2) - (2)2/2 ) - ( 2(1) - (1)2/2 ) ]
V3 = π[ ( 2 ) - ( 3/2 ) ]
V3 = π/2

V4 = π12 -√(2 - y)2 dy
V4 = -π12 2 - y dy
V4 = -π[2y - y2/2]12
V4 = -π[ ( 2(2) - (2)2/2 ) - ( 2(1) - (1)2/2 ) ]
V4 = -π[ ( 2 ) - ( 3/2 ) ]
V4 = -π/2

Vtotal = V1 + V2 + V3 + V4
Vtotal = π/2 - π/2 + π/2 - π/2
Vtotal = 0

Which is what my intuition told me by looking at the graph. Is this correct? Or should it be: Vtotal = V1 + V3 = π? The whole negative volume thing really messes with my head on some levels, but it seems to me like the first answer is correct. However, as I stated, it seems uncharacteristic of my instructor to give a problem like that, and it's possible I'm wrong and the problem should be interpreted to exclude negative volume, sort of like some 'area between functions' problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
A few things:

Make sure you state volume next time, I read through the problem and thought you meant surface area for the first half of the post.

There is a region bounded by all three curves: one with a lower bound of x = 0 and an upper bound of either x^2 or 2-x^2 depending on x coordinate. Try that one; you will need to break it into two parts if you use symmetry.

Symmetry will never give you a zero volume, it will just allow you to compute easier by only integrating part of the problem and then using symmetry as a multiplier.

I noticed your algebra isn't quite correct on some of your integrals. The volume formula has outer radius squared, a larger positive number, minus inner radius squared, a smaller positive number. It should always end up positive.

The problem said find the area, not the volume, of the solid of revolution. Well, which is it?

A few things:

Make sure you state volume next time, I read through the problem and thought you meant surface area for the first half of the post.

SteamKing said:
The problem said find the area, not the volume, of the solid of revolution. Well, which is it?

Sorry about that. I could have sworn I typed 'volume' but for some reason it came out 'area.' Fixed now.

Vectus said:
Ahh, yes. That makes sense! I didn't see that, because every problem I've worked involving that method had a region with a gap in the center, so the solid was an actual 'shell.' I never visualized it quite like that. Thanks, that really clears this up for me.
Check what I wrote again, since I realized that I was not seeing the correct region. I have edited what I wrote to reflect a better understanding.

1. What does it mean to "revolve a region about an axis"?

Revolving a region about an axis means to rotate the region around a fixed line, known as the axis, in order to create a three-dimensional solid shape.

2. How is the area of a solid generated by revolving a region about an axis calculated?

The area of a solid generated by revolving a region about an axis can be calculated using the formula A = 2πrh, where r is the distance from the axis to the edge of the region and h is the height of the solid.

3. What is the difference between a solid of revolution and a regular solid?

A solid of revolution is created by rotating a two-dimensional region around an axis, while a regular solid is a three-dimensional shape with flat faces and straight edges.

4. Can any region be used to generate a solid of revolution?

No, the region must have a defined boundary in order to accurately calculate the area of the resulting solid.

5. What are some real-life applications of finding the area of a solid generated by revolving a region about an axis?

Some real-life applications include calculating the volume of a wine barrel, finding the surface area of a vase, or determining the capacity of a water tower.