Is My Solution for 3D Triangle Area Correct?

In summary: UxIn summary, the conversation is discussing a series of problems involving vector calculations. The first problem involves finding the magnitude of a vector and using unit vectors in a cross product. The second problem involves determining parallel and perpendicular vectors using dot and cross products. The third problem involves finding the area of a triangle using cross products and dot products. The summary also includes the solutions provided by the expert for each problem.
Integrate from 1 to 0 of x^2 dx and I get -1/3 evaluate the second integral from 0 to 1 of 2x^5 dx and get 1/3 added together I get 0 which is not right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Or is it just one integral once I do the substitution from 1 to 0 of x^2+2x^5 which would be -2/3

DODGEVIPER13 said:
Or is it just one integral once I do the substitution from 1 to 0 of x^2+2x^5 which would be -2/3

Once you've made the substitutions and performed the dot product (collecting the terms into a single sum) then there is only one integral to perform over x from 0 to 1.

So 2/3

Integration done would be x^3/3+x^6/3 which when evaluated from 0 to 1 I get 2/3

Yup, that's what I get.

Likes 1 person
Ok man so do you suggest I ask separate questions for the rest also I will give a thanks? I was wondering if I add one thanks does it count for all the posts.

DODGEVIPER13 said:
Ok man so do you suggest I ask separate questions for the rest also I will give a thanks? I was wondering if I add one thanks does it count for all the posts.

One question per thread is the preferred format; it avoids the confusion that can ensue if multiple people start addressing different different questions in random order.

Presumably one "Thanks" covers whatever you want... there are no guidelines for Thanks that I'm aware of, and they don't appear to alter the status of a post or thread in any way. They're just a friendly tip-of-the-hat to signify appreciation for help given.

Cheers.

Hey I know this is a really old question but I never got the chance to check my angle answer I got 83.62 what I did was cos(theta)= (A dot B)/(abs(a)Abs(B)) then cos^-1(1/9)=83.62 degrees

Since its really old just so everyone knows I am referring to probem 1.3 on the pdf that I have uploaded

well nvm that does not sum to 180 degrees but I think I may have solved it I got 76.86,57.31, and 45.81 is that correct?

sorry one final check on 1.2 the perpendicular part, I already have the parallel part. I found alpha= 4 and beta=1 is this right?

DODGEVIPER13 said:
well nvm that does not sum to 180 degrees but I think I may have solved it I got 76.86,57.31, and 45.81 is that correct?

Yes, those angles look okay.

DODGEVIPER13 said:
sorry one final check on 1.2 the perpendicular part, I already have the parallel part. I found alpha= 4 and beta=1 is this right?

You should be able to test your results. What's the test for perpendicularity for vectors?

If their dot product equals zero then they are perpendicular which my numbers seem to pass. As long as I'm doing the dot product right which I am pretty sure I am multiplying like values together and adding them.

DODGEVIPER13 said:
If their dot product equals zero then they are perpendicular which my numbers seem to pass. As long as I'm doing the dot product right which I am pretty sure I am multiplying like values together and adding them.

Can you show that work?

A=AlphaUx+3Uy-2Uz and B=4Ux+betaUy+8Uz then by observation I noticed if I plugged 1 in for alpha then when I multiplied 4Ux and 1 Ux I would get 4. I then saw that is I plugged 4 in for beta then when 3Uy and 4Uy multiplied I would get 12. These added together gave me 16 and when -2Uz and 8Uz I get -16 when added together I get 0 which I assumed was right but I'm guessing its not.

DODGEVIPER13 said:
A=AlphaUx+3Uy-2Uz and B=4Ux+betaUy+8Uz then by observation I noticed if I plugged 1 in for alpha then when I multiplied 4Ux and 1 Ux I would get 4. I then saw that is I plugged 4 in for beta then when 3Uy and 4Uy multiplied I would get 12. These added together gave me 16 and when -2Uz and 8Uz I get -16 when added together I get 0 which I assumed was right but I'm guessing its not.

Okay, previously you claimed ##\alpha = 4## and ##\beta = 1##. Now you've swapped the values after checking. Always check!

While this (new) pair of values is one particular solution, you can get a general solution by expanding the [STRIKE]cross[/STRIKE] dot product symbolically and setting it to zero. You'll notice it yields one equation in two unknowns. What does that tell you?

Edit: Oops, I meant dot product, of course!

Last edited:
Ok I got something wonky trying to do the cross product of that I can't upload it until around 1 so ill do it then but typically when you have 2 unknowns I would need a second equation correct? They must then both multiply times the constants to form the 0 maybe?

DODGEVIPER13 said:
Ok I got something wonky trying to do the cross product of that I can't upload it until around 1 so ill do it then but typically when you have 2 unknowns I would need a second equation correct? They must then both multiply times the constants to form the 0 maybe?

Check my edit of my previous post: I meant DOT product, not CROSS product, of course.

If a system of equations is underdetermined (more unknowns than equations), then you can have an infinite number of solutions but a fixed relationship between the variables...

ah makes sense so this obviously isn't the only solution but nonetheless one that will be correct right?

DODGEVIPER13 said:
ah makes sense so this obviously isn't the only solution but nonetheless one that will be correct right?

Well, certainly not wrong, but at best incomplete :smile: