Find the electric field and force at a point in 3d space

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 5K views
DODGEVIPER13
Messages
668
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Uploaded Problem 2.1


Homework Equations


Etotal=Eq1+eq2


The Attempt at a Solution


On problem 2.1 I need quite a bit of help here. I am not really sure how to approach this I have done some work but it is highly incorrect. I hand wrote my solution, so I will upload that too.
 
Attachments
  • EPSON002.jpg
    EPSON002.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 899
  • Homework 2.pdf
    Homework 2.pdf
    107.8 KB · Views: 875
Physics news on Phys.org
Here is my redo I saw a problem in the book that looked kinda close so i tried to follow it but it really wast that close in the end
 
Attachments
  • EPSON003.jpg
    EPSON003.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 813
Your second attempt is better as it is taking the vectors into account, but I think you're trying to do too much at once.

Start by reducing the Coulomb constant to a single constant: ##k = \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_o}##. That way you don't need to drag the whole thing through the calculations.

Next, Deal with one charge at a time. Find the field at the point in question due to Q2 alone, since it's a fixed feature. Call that E2.

Then find the contribution by Q1, leaving just the Q1 as a variable (so you'll end up with some vector constant, say D, multiplied by Q1 to yield the vector components of the E-field due to Q1 at the point in question). Call that E1.

At this point you should be able to deal component-wise with the various E vectors to address the requirements of the questions.
 
well I figured it out but thanks for the reply I get Q1=-8.323 nC and Q1=-45nC. Well I didnt figure it out but I saw a solution I understood
 
hey can you check my 2.2 answer though I feel that it is right I get 40nC. Sorry my upload wasnt super clear!
 
Attachments
  • EPSON004.jpg
    EPSON004.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 714
DODGEVIPER13 said:
hey can you check my 2.2 answer though I feel that it is right I get 40nC. Sorry my upload wasnt super clear!

I don't follow your working, but answer looks okay to me.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
Thanks I have moved onto 2.3 and broke it off onto another post as you has said earlier. Thanks again