1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the electric field and force at a point in 3d space

1. Sep 12, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Uploaded Problem 2.1

2. Relevant equations
    Etotal=Eq1+eq2

3. The attempt at a solution
    On problem 2.1 I need quite a bit of help here. I am not really sure how to approach this I have done some work but it is highly incorrect. I hand wrote my solution, so I will upload that too.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2013 #2
    Here is my redo I saw a problem in the book that looked kinda close so i tried to follow it but it really wast that close in the end

Attached Files:

4. Sep 12, 2013 #3

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Your second attempt is better as it is taking the vectors into account, but I think you're trying to do too much at once.

Start by reducing the Coulomb constant to a single constant: ##k = \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_o}##. That way you don't need to drag the whole thing through the calculations.

Next, Deal with one charge at a time. Find the field at the point in question due to Q2 alone, since it's a fixed feature. Call that E2.

Then find the contribution by Q1, leaving just the Q1 as a variable (so you'll end up with some vector constant, say D, multiplied by Q1 to yield the vector components of the E-field due to Q1 at the point in question). Call that E1.

At this point you should be able to deal component-wise with the various E vectors to address the requirements of the questions.

5. Sep 12, 2013 #4
    well I figured it out but thanks for the reply I get Q1=-8.323 nC and Q1=-45nC. Well I didnt figure it out but I saw a solution I understood

6. Sep 12, 2013 #5
    hey can you check my 2.2 answer though I feel that it is right I get 40nC. Sorry my upload wasnt super clear!

Attached Files:

7. Sep 12, 2013 #6

gneill

Staff: Mentor

I don't follow your working, but answer looks okay to me.

8. Sep 13, 2013 #7
    Thanks I have moved onto 2.3 and broke it off onto another post as you has said earlier. Thanks again

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted