1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Area of a vertically sliced circle

1. May 30, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A circle of radius 7 inches is sliced vertically, parallel to the y-axis, into three pieces. Each piece has an equal area. What is the width, x-axis, of each piece?

2. Relevant equations

f(x)= +/- sqrt((r^2)-(x^2)) where "r" is the radius.

3. The attempt at a solution

My sign for the integral is $

Using the equation for a circle above I took advantage of the obvious symmetry about the x-axis to isolate the part of the circle above the x-axis relevant to the given radius.

g(x)= sqrt((7^2)-(x^2)).

My attempt was to first define the area as an integral from the origin until x=7. (I chose x=7 because of the symmetry about the y-axis.)

I(x)= 0->7 $sqrt((7^2)-(x^2))dx

Here is where I hit a wall. The prof tried explaining to the class about Pythagoras and I thought I understood but apparently I didn't. Any assistance or pushes in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. May 30, 2010 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

First the area of the circle is [itex]\pi(7^2)= 49\pi[/itex]. If it is divided into 3 pieces of equal area, each piece must have area [itex]49\pi/3[/itex].

Taking X to be the x coordinate of the left most slice, its area is given by
    [tex]2\int_{-7}^X \sqrt{49- x^2} dx[/tex]
    and that must be equal to [itex]49\pi/3[/itex] .

Go ahead and do the integral (the substitution [itex]u= 7sin(t)[/itex] will work), set it equal to [itex]49\pi/3[/itex], and solve for X. The symmetry tells you that the other slice is at 7+ X.

4. May 30, 2010 #3
    Do you even need calculus? If you consider just the part that is above the y-axis, then each slice has to be equal to [itex]49\pi/6[/itex]. and, the two end pieces are quarter ellipses.

so, if b is the x coordinate of the right slice, then

49pi/6 = (pi/4)(7-b)(49-b^2)^(1/2)

Last edited: May 30, 2010
  5. May 30, 2010 #4
    I do need to use calculus. I need to use trigonometric substitutions and integration. The method provided by HallsofIvy is the one i must use.

I followed through with the integral but now I am stuck at trying to solve for X.

What I have is:

sin^-1(x/7)+sin(2(sin^-1(x/7))) = pi/6

How do i break this down?

6. May 30, 2010 #5

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, a cap of a circle is a sector minus a triangle, and you can easily find the area of each. :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook