Deriving the Area of a Circular Sector Using Integration

In summary, the area of a circular sector between the angles θ1 and θ2 can be found by integrating the following equation: $$A = \int_{θ1}^{θ2} \,dA = \int_{θ1}^{θ2} \frac{1}{2} r^2\,dθ$$
Noriele Cruz
I am bothered on how the area of circular sector was derived using integration. I have a solution but I don't know how it will go and come up with the formula:

A = 1/2 sr and A = 1/2 r2 θ

Can someone show me the solution for the derivation of the two formula?

Physics news on Phys.org
A basic question, what do you know about an integral?

Noriele Cruz said:
I am bothered on how the area of circular sector was derived using integration. I have a solution but I don't know how it will go and come up with the formula:

A = 1/2 sr and A = 1/2 r2 θ

Can someone show me the solution for the derivation of the two formula?
It's an elementary proof if you use polar coordinates.

Examine the small sector in the figure below:

gaussianGraph.gif

You can assume for a small angle dθ that the sector is roughly an isosceles triangle, where each side measures r units and the base is r ⋅ dθ units long.

The area of this triangle is dA ≈ (1/2) ⋅ r × r ⋅ dθ = r2 dθ / 2, using the formula for the area of a triangle.

If you want to find the area A of a circular sector between the angles θ1 and θ2, then

$$A = \int_{θ1}^{θ2} \,dA = \int_{θ1}^{θ2} \frac{1}{2} r^2\,dθ = \frac{1}{2} r^2 ⋅ (θ2 - θ1)$$

r ⋅ (θ2 - θ1) is also equivalent to the arc length s, and ##A = \frac{1}{2} r ⋅ s##

Q.E.D.

I have done it by means of basic integration of plane areas. I divide the figure into two parts as A1 and A2 for computing the area.
272026.image3.jpg

It is somehow like this (I can't find a picture of my solution). I draw a triangle from A perpendicular to CB. Now, the sector is divided into a triangle and segment. The triangle represents A1 and segment represents A2. Can you show me your solution in my way of derivation?

Noriele Cruz said:
I have done it by means of basic integration of plane areas. I divide the figure into two parts as A1 and A2 for computing the area.
272026.image3.jpg

It is somehow like this (I can't find a picture of my solution). I draw a triangle from A perpendicular to CB. Now, the sector is divided into a triangle and segment. The triangle represents A1 and segment represents A2. Can you show me your solution in my way of derivation?
No, because that's a really difficult way to do this problem.

There's nothing wrong with switching to integration using polar coordinates when that method makes the calculation much easier.

I am finish in integrating it with values.. I am stuck on how the integration will cancel out to come up with only 1/2 r2 θ for the area.

What do you mean by polar coordinates? I think I work with cartesian coordinates in integrating?

Noriele Cruz said:
I am finish in integrating it with values.. I am stuck on how the integration will cancel out to come up with only 1/2 r2 θ for the area.
r is a constant with respect to theta. What happens when you integrate constants?
What do you mean by polar coordinates? I think I work with cartesian coordinates in integrating?
I mean polar coordinates:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polar_coordinate_system

If you haven't studied polar coordinates, there is a certain mathematical background which is lacking in your education. You should correct this if you are going to study calculus.

I know how to integrate constants. I just don't know how to simplify my solution to 1/2 r2 θ.

We had study about polar coordinates and I know it, I just don't know how to make equations for the integration process.

Noriele Cruz said:
I know how to integrate constants. I just don't know how to simplify my solution to 1/2 r2 θ.
You'll have to show your work where you got stuck.
We had study about polar coordinates and I know it, I just don't know how to make equations for the integration process.
I show you how and explained it in Post #3.

I got this part: πr2 / 4 - r2/2 arcsin (cos θ)

Can you show me how, please?

This is my solution:

Attachments

• 12788044_1160874747263515_2108366211_n.jpg
    12788044_1160874747263515_2108366211_n.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 755
Noriele Cruz said:
I got this part: πr2 / 4 - r2/2 arcsin (cos θ)

I'm not even sure what this expression is supposed to represent.

If it's supposed to be the area of a circular sector subtending an angle of 45°, it's way more complicated than it needs to be (and I haven't checked for any mistakes).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circular_sector

Have you checked my solution in the attached file?

For the formula A = 1/2 sr, how it was derived using integration? Sorry for so many questions, I just want to clear up my mind.

Noriele Cruz said:
Have you checked my solution in the attached file?

I looked at it. It's way too complicated to spend time checking, especially when I have shown you in detail how to obtain a much simpler formula for the area of a circular sector, and showed you documentary proof of the validity of the simple formula.
For the formula A = 1/2 sr, how it was derived using integration? Sorry for so many questions, I just want to clear up my mind.

Again, please refer to Post #3. I showed how this formula is derived from the alternate formula for the area of a circular sector.

If you are not going to read the posts I put up, there's no point in continuing this thread.

SteamKing said:
It's an elementary proof if you use polar coordinates.

Examine the small sector in the figure below:

gaussianGraph.gif

You can assume for a small angle dθ that the sector is roughly an isosceles triangle, where each side measures r units and the base is r ⋅ dθ units long.

The area of this triangle is dA ≈ (1/2) ⋅ r × r ⋅ dθ = r2 dθ / 2, using the formula for the area of a triangle.

If you want to find the area A of a circular sector between the angles θ1 and θ2, then

$$A = \int_{θ1}^{θ2} \,dA = \int_{θ1}^{θ2} \frac{1}{2} r^2\,dθ = \frac{1}{2} r^2 ⋅ (θ2 - θ1)$$

r ⋅ (θ2 - θ1) is also equivalent to the arc length s, and ##A = \frac{1}{2} r ⋅ s##

Q.E.D.

How come my picture of my integration of sector can be drawn like this? Is this also the same with mine?

Noriele Cruz said:
How come my picture of my integration of sector can be drawn like this? Is this also the same with mine?
All circular sectors look alike.

The dA in the figure is actually drawn for the case where r is not a constant but instead varies with the angle θ.

For a circular sector, r is constant, and integrating r and θ is not necessary to find the area of the sector.

How about the curve in the part of the sector? If I'm not mistaken, the figure you posted is somehow a triangle rather than a sector with curve part.
Where is it?

Noriele Cruz said:
How about the curve in the part of the sector? If I'm not mistaken, the figure you posted is somehow a triangle rather than a sector with curve part.
Where is it?
In the limit, as dθ → 0, then the arc portion of the sector is naturally going to appear more and more like a straight line segment, which is why the area of this tiny sector can be approximated using the formula for the area of a triangle.

To find the area of circular sector ABC, as shown in Post #4, that sector would be subdivided into many little slivers each sweeping out an angle dθ. The integration process adds up the areas dA of these segments as dθ → 0, producing a finite value A for the area of sector ABC.

In general, the area of a sector bounded by a curve ##C## defined by polar radius ##\rho(\theta)##, such that ##C = \rho([\theta_1,\theta_2])## , is ## A= \frac{1}{2} \int_{\theta_1}^{\theta_2} \rho^2(\theta) \ d\theta ## . In your case, ##\rho(\theta)## is constant and equal to ##r## since your sector is circular.

1. What is the formula for finding the area of a sector using integration?

The formula for finding the area of a sector using integration is A = ∫(r^2/2) dθ, where A is the area, r is the radius of the sector, and θ is the central angle in radians.

2. How is the integral of a sector related to its area?

The integral of a sector is directly related to its area. The integral represents the sum of infinitely many rectangles that approximate the curved shape of the sector, thus giving an accurate calculation of its area.

3. Can the area of a sector be negative when using integration?

No, the area of a sector cannot be negative when using integration. The integral only calculates positive values, and since area is a measure of space, it cannot be negative.

4. What are the limits of integration for finding the area of a sector?

The limits of integration for finding the area of a sector correspond to the starting and ending angles of the sector. The lower limit is usually 0 radians, while the upper limit is the central angle θ in radians.

5. Is there a specific unit for the area of a sector when using integration?

The unit for the area of a sector when using integration depends on the units used for the radius and central angle. For example, if the radius is in meters and the central angle is in radians, then the unit for the area will be square meters (m^2).