1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Area of triangle

1. Sep 18, 2012 #1
    Could anyone tell me how they found the area of the triangle?

f4YHe.png

When I try to use 0.5*b*h I get 10.64483443, not 10.5

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

They subtracted the areas of the three right triangles outside the given triangle from the area of the rectangle.

How did you calculate b and h for the triangle? I'm guessing you did it wrong.

4. Sep 19, 2012 #3
    I found the midpoint of the two bottom verticies of the triangle, then found the length from that midpoint to the top vertex and used that as the height. The length of the two bottom vertices I used as the base.

I see what they done now, thanks, but is how could I have done using the b*h*0.5?

5. Sep 19, 2012 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You mean "did".

The line from the midpoint of a side to the opposite vertex is a median. Medians are not generally perpendicular to the side, so its length is not the height of the triangle.

To do it that way you would have to find where the line from the vertex perpendicular to the other side intersects the other side and use that line (called the altitude) for the height.

6. Sep 19, 2012 #5
    apologies for my bad grammar.

thanks for helping.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook