Maximizing Cow Grazing: Solving Area and Quadratic Equations with Tethered Cows

• Thread starter Paradiselovek
  • Start date
In summary: So the total grazing area is the area of the top semi-circle plus the area of the side quarter-circle. In summary, the cow can graze over an area of 18m by 6m.
Paradiselovek
Area/Quadratic NEED HELP****

The problem is:

A cow is tethered by a piece of rope 50m long. The rope is fastened to a hook located 10 m from the corner of the longest side of a barn measuring 60m by 30 m. Over how much ground can the cow graze.

I add the information above to the diagramp below:

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/a875067c70.jpg

I try to find the area of the circle then divide it in half (since it half a circle) but I'm not sure so please help

Physics news on Phys.org

Start by drawing both the circle (R=50m) and the rectangle, with the center of the circle where you've shown the tether spot. Do you see a way that you could divide that up into regions, to get the various areas that make up the grazing area?

Hint -- I think there are at least 3 pieces that you will calculate the area of differently, and then sum them up for the total grazing area...

berkeman said:
Start by drawing both the circle (R=50m) and the rectangle, with the center of the circle where you've shown the tether spot. Do you see a way that you could divide that up into regions, to get the various areas that make up the grazing area?

Hint -- I think there are at least 3 pieces that you will calculate the area of differently, and then sum them up for the total grazing area...

Okay, thank you. Are the 3 pieces in the tether spot include 1/4 of a circle (2 of them)with a radius of 10 m, then 1 (1/2) a circle?I'm wondering if that right, if not can you please give me a bit more hint. Thank you so much ^^

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/2e83ed54ea.jpg

Last edited:

The hook on the upper side of the barn is one pivot point for an semicircle of 50 m.

When the cow passes below the plane (line) of the upper side of the barn, the corner becomes a pivot point for a smaller circle, of a shorter radius.

Then the cow can pass by the bottom right corner, at a still smaller radius.

Think about what happens are each corner.

Astronuc said:
The hook on the upper side of the barn is one pivot point for an semicircle of 50 m.

When the cow passes below the plane (line) of the upper side of the barn, the corner becomes a pivot point for a smaller circle, of a shorter radius.

Then the cow can pass by the bottom right corner, at a still smaller radius.

Think about what happens are each corner.

Hi for the solution above, I draw out my circles, but I still don't know how to find the area of the side circle one. Plz help

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/c17d20dfb6.jpg

If one has a radius, then one can find the area.

On the top the cow sweeps through a semi-circle (half-circle). On the side, the cow would sweep through a quarter circle (from horizontal to vertical) before it turns passes the corner.

1. What is the formula for finding the area of a square or rectangle?

The formula for finding the area of a square or rectangle is length x width. This means that you simply multiply the length of one side by the width of the other side to get the total area in square units.

2. How do I find the area of a triangle?

To find the area of a triangle, you can use the formula A = 1/2 x base x height. The base is the length of one side of the triangle, and the height is the perpendicular distance from the base to the opposite vertex.

3. What is the difference between a quadratic equation and a quadratic function?

A quadratic equation is a mathematical expression that is set equal to zero, while a quadratic function is a mathematical rule that assigns an output value to an input value. In other words, a quadratic equation is a statement, while a quadratic function is a relationship between two variables.

4. How do I solve a quadratic equation?

To solve a quadratic equation, you can use the quadratic formula: x = (-b ± √(b²-4ac)) / 2a. This formula will give you the values of x that make the equation true. You can also solve a quadratic equation by factoring, completing the square, or using the quadratic formula.

5. What is the discriminant in a quadratic equation?

The discriminant in a quadratic equation is the part of the quadratic formula under the square root: b²-4ac. It is used to determine the nature of the solutions to the equation. If the discriminant is positive, there are two real solutions. If it is zero, there is one real solution. And if it is negative, there are no real solutions.

Back