Areas of EE that use computations and modeling?

In summary, an engineer with a Masters in Physics can still find employment in the field of engineering, but they will need to focus on using software to get the job.
e15
I'm currently in the middle of a Physics PhD program but I now want to drop out with a Masters. I'm considering a career as an materials engineer or EE, but I definitely want to focus more on using software than 'hands-on' work.
I heard that power systems, signal processing, communications, acoustics, and image analysis are areas of EE that use computational methods. What about in other areas of EE, such as solid-state electronics, lasers and optics? I'm more interested in those fields. How can I get those computational EE jobs if I get my MS in Physics by doing research in computational materials science?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Not to be too smart-A** -- but really all of them if they are really EE... while SS I consider EE - but in an ee degree in this this is often referred to as Solid State Physics - really a cross over realm. However, lasers and Optics I put more in the Physics realm.
However EE jobs - is another issue - and on this I am rather sour about your comment "focus more on using software than 'hands-on' work". While you do not need to expect or plan a career being "hands on" - there is currently an epidemic of engineers graduating with no hand on experience, not wanting, or even willing to do hands on work. The issue is without understanding how to transition the computational world to reality - IS NOT VALUABLE... I do not know how to stress this enough. In the real world ( i.e. not academia) - real things need to be made, build, tested, re-engineered - etc... With a strong computation background and approach an employer willing to work on the production floor for 3-10 years - then you are golden. Computational tools are just that - understanding the tool in one thing using it to DO something is different entirely. - Sorry for the rant - but I have this discussion with clients looking for engineers 2-3 a WEEK.
"it worked in simulation" is not equal to "it worked.", it is <<<

1. What is the purpose of using computations and modeling in EE?

Computations and modeling are essential tools in EE for analyzing and predicting the behavior of systems and devices. They allow engineers to simulate and test various scenarios before implementing them in the real world, thus reducing costs and risks associated with trial and error.

2. What are some common areas of EE that heavily rely on computations and modeling?

Some common areas of EE that use computations and modeling include circuit design, signal processing, power systems, communications, and control systems. These areas deal with complex and dynamic systems that require accurate modeling and analysis for optimal performance.

3. How do engineers use computations and modeling in circuit design?

In circuit design, engineers use computations and modeling to simulate the behavior of electronic components and circuits. This allows them to analyze different design options and optimize circuit performance, such as minimizing power consumption or maximizing signal integrity.

4. What role do computations and modeling play in power systems?

In power systems, computations and modeling are used to simulate and analyze the flow of electricity through the grid. This helps engineers identify potential problems, such as voltage drops or overloads, and develop solutions to improve the efficiency and reliability of the system.

5. How are computations and modeling used in communications systems?

Computations and modeling are crucial in communications systems for designing and optimizing wireless networks, coding and decoding signals, and predicting channel behavior. This enables engineers to improve communication performance, reduce interference, and ensure reliable transmission of data.