Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Areas of EE that use computations and modeling?

1. Mar 15, 2014 #1

e15

I'm currently in the middle of a Physics PhD program but I now want to drop out with a Masters. I'm considering a career as an materials engineer or EE, but I definitely want to focus more on using software than 'hands-on' work.
    I heard that power systems, signal processing, communications, acoustics, and image analysis are areas of EE that use computational methods. What about in other areas of EE, such as solid-state electronics, lasers and optics? I'm more interested in those fields. How can I get those computational EE jobs if I get my MS in Physics by doing research in computational materials science?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2014 #2
    Not to be too smart-A** -- but really all of them if they are really EE..... while SS I consider EE - but in an ee degree in this this is often referred to as Solid State Physics - really a cross over realm. However, lasers and Optics I put more in the Physics realm.
    However EE jobs - is another issue - and on this I am rather sour about your comment "focus more on using software than 'hands-on' work". While you do not need to expect or plan a career being "hands on" - there is currently an epidemic of engineers graduating with no hand on experience, not wanting, or even willing to do hands on work. The issue is without understanding how to transition the computational world to reality - IS NOT VALUABLE..... I do not know how to stress this enough. In the real world ( i.e. not academia) - real things need to be made, build, tested, re-engineered - etc... With a strong computation background and approach an employer willing to work on the production floor for 3-10 years - then you are golden. Computational tools are just that - understanding the tool in one thing using it to DO something is different entirely. - Sorry for the rant - but I have this discussion with clients looking for engineers 2-3 a WEEK.
    "it worked in simulation" is not equal to "it worked.", it is <<<

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook