What is the fourth term of an arithmetic sequence with specific given terms?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the 4th term of an arithmetic sequence with the first three terms being p, 2p+6, and 5p-12. The solution involves setting p=12 and finding a difference of 18 between consecutive terms. However, there is a disagreement about whether this is an arithmetic sequence or not.
sabanation12
Our 8th grade math counts team met today and I didnt know how to do this problem:

The first three terms of an arithmetic sequence are p, 2p+6, and 5p-12. What is the 4th term of this sequence?

Please explain how to do this.

Arigato!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
please help me

Its not an arithmetic progression... and don't bump. In an AP the difference between consecutive terms is constant (i.e. t1-t0=t2-t1 and so forth.) In this case [tex](2p+6)-p=5p-12-(2p+6)[/tex]
[tex]p+6=3p-18[/tex]
[tex]2p=24[/tex]
[tex]p=12[/tex]
Only true when p=12. For all other cases it is not an AP.

so, is that the solution? p=12 and a difference of 18 between two consecutive numbers?

2p-12 <- simplifies to p, of course, if you know p=12
2p+6
5p-12
5p+6
8p-12
8p+6

hyurnat4 said:
Its not an arithmetic progression... and don't bump. In an AP the difference between consecutive terms is constant (i.e. t1-t0=t2-t1 and so forth.) In this case [tex](2p+6)-p=5p-12-(2p+6)[/tex]
[tex]p+6=3p-18[/tex]
[tex]2p=24[/tex]
[tex]p=12[/tex]
Only true when p=12. For all other cases it is not an AP.

No I believe you are wrong, it IS an arithmetic sequence. Let me explain...

P does equal 12, and the difference between them is 18, so:

an = a1 + (n-1) * d

Plugging in numbers:

an = 12 + (4-1) * 18

so the fourth number is 66

Thanks for your help anyways :)

1. What is an arithmetic sequence?

An arithmetic sequence is a sequence of numbers where the difference between consecutive terms is constant. This constant difference is called the common difference.

2. How do you find the 4th term of an arithmetic sequence?

To find the 4th term of an arithmetic sequence, you can use the formula:
a4 = a1 + (4-1)d
where a4 is the 4th term, a1 is the first term, and d is the common difference.

3. Can an arithmetic sequence have a negative common difference?

Yes, an arithmetic sequence can have a negative common difference. This means that the terms in the sequence are decreasing instead of increasing.

4. How do you check if a sequence is an arithmetic sequence?

To check if a sequence is an arithmetic sequence, you can find the difference between consecutive terms. If the difference is constant, then the sequence is arithmetic. You can also check by using the formula:
an = a1 + (n-1)d
where n is the term number, an is the nth term, a1 is the first term, and d is the common difference.

5. Can an arithmetic sequence have a common difference of 0?

Yes, an arithmetic sequence can have a common difference of 0. This means that all the terms in the sequence are the same. In other words, the sequence is constant.