Arithmetic Series: Find 1st 3 Terms & 20th Term

In summary, the nth term of an arithmetic series is 1/2(3-n) and to find the first three terms, n should be substituted with 1, 2, and 3, while to find the 20th term, n should be substituted with 20.
kwuk

Homework Statement

The nth term of an arithmetic series is 1/2(3-n). What are the first three terms and the 20th term?

Homework Equations

nth term = a+(n-1)d

The Attempt at a Solution

I have made various attempts but cannot seem to work out how this can be done without a specific number for n. Have answered questions where two different terms have been given and used simultaneous equations to determine the first term and common difference but can't seem to do this as only one term is given. Advice anyone??

Physics news on Phys.org
kwuk said:
The nth term of an arithmetic series is 1/2(3-n). What are the first three terms and the 20th term?

Hi kwuk! :smile:

(i assume you mean (3-n)/2)

erm :redface: … the first three terms have n = 1, 2, 3, and the 20th has n = 20 :wink:

I would approach this problem by first understanding the concept of an arithmetic series. An arithmetic series is a sequence of numbers where the difference between any two consecutive terms is a constant value, known as the common difference. In this case, the common difference is given as 1/2(3-n).

To find the first three terms, we can substitute n=1, 2, and 3 into the given formula for the nth term. This gives us the first three terms as:

a1 = 1/2(3-1) = 1
a2 = 1/2(3-2) = 1/2
a3 = 1/2(3-3) = 0

Therefore, the first three terms of the arithmetic series are 1, 1/2, and 0.

To find the 20th term, we can use the formula for the nth term, but this time we know that n=20. So, the 20th term can be calculated as:

a20 = 1/2(3-20) = -8.5

Therefore, the 20th term of the arithmetic series is -8.5.

It is important to note that the given formula for the nth term of an arithmetic series assumes that the first term, a1, is equal to 1. If a different first term is given, the formula would be slightly different. I hope this helps to clarify the problem and provide a solution.

What is an arithmetic series?

An arithmetic series is a sequence of numbers where each term is found by adding a constant value to the previous term. This constant value is called the common difference.

How do I find the first three terms of an arithmetic series?

To find the first three terms of an arithmetic series, you need to know the starting term and the common difference. The first term is simply the starting term. The second term is found by adding the common difference to the first term. The third term is found by adding the common difference to the second term.

What is the 20th term of an arithmetic series?

The 20th term of an arithmetic series can be found by using the formula: an = a1 + (n-1)d, where an is the nth term, a1 is the first term, and d is the common difference. So, to find the 20th term, plug in 20 for n, and the values for a1 and d.

Can I find the first three terms and 20th term of an arithmetic series if I only know the common difference?

Yes, you can find the first three terms and 20th term of an arithmetic series if you know the common difference. You can use the formula mentioned above to find the first three terms, and then plug in 20 for n to find the 20th term.

Why is it important to find the first three terms and 20th term of an arithmetic series?

Finding the first three terms and 20th term of an arithmetic series can help you understand the pattern of the series and make predictions about future terms. It can also be useful in solving real-world problems that involve arithmetic sequences, such as calculating interest rates or growth rates.