Array of underwater transducers for sound massage

hello,

since a while my mind is caught by an idea. This idea is concerned with underwater sound massage system.

For this purpose i would like to build an array of underwater sound transducers, which can all be steered individually (to do a coarse beam forming).

However, since i am not an engineer it is difficult for me to evaluate which transducers are appropriate for the application i have in mind and would be very greatful if someone here could comment on my guesses:

I need a broadband transducer that is capable to produce sound waves in a very broad range (200 Hz - 30khz) and with sound intensity around 60 db. It may be also possible to use different transducers for low and high frequencies. However, in order to do beamforming at a frequency of 30kHz the distance of the transducers must be around 5 cm. thus the transducer sizes must be quite small. (the most appropriate transducers i found were from the company benthowave, can anyone comment on this)

I would be very greatful if anyone could comment on the spezifications i have in mind.

best regards,

lost_in_space

anorlunda

Mentor
Insights Author
Gold Member
High frequencies tend to dissipate, both in the water and in the body. Therefore, high frequency massage is a bit of an oxymoron. So instead of 200-30K Hz, I would suggest 0.2-3 Hz.

Those frequencies are best though of as pistons displacing water, not as sonic transducers.

hello,

since a while my mind is caught by an idea. This idea is concerned with underwater sound massage system.

For this purpose i would like to build an array of underwater sound transducers, which can all be steered individually (to do a coarse beam forming).

However, since i am not an engineer it is difficult for me to evaluate which transducers are appropriate for the application i have in mind and would be very greatful if someone here could comment on my guesses:

I need a broadband transducer that is capable to produce sound waves in a very broad range (200 Hz - 30khz) and with sound intensity around 60 db. It may be also possible to use different transducers for low and high frequencies. However, in order to do beamforming at a frequency of 30kHz the distance of the transducers must be around 5 cm. thus the transducer sizes must be quite small. (the most appropriate transducers i found were from the company benthowave, can anyone comment on this)

I would be very greatful if anyone could comment on the spezifications i have in mind.

best regards,

lost_in_space
Hi there. Did you ever get anywhere with you underwater acoustic sound array?

tech99

Gold Member
Of course, these arrays are used for sonar for military and also for fishfinders etc.
Poor creatures like whales have to endure our activities.

Of course, these arrays are used for sonar for military and also for fishfinders etc.
Poor creatures like whales have to endure our activities.
I know they exist, I guess I was just wondering if lost_in_space ever got his project off the ground. As for the animals, I agree with you. It must be worse than Times Square down there as for noise.