1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Array of underwater transducers for sound massage

1. Sep 26, 2011 #1
    hello,

since a while my mind is caught by an idea. This idea is concerned with underwater sound massage system.

For this purpose i would like to build an array of underwater sound transducers, which can all be steered individually (to do a coarse beam forming).

However, since i am not an engineer it is difficult for me to evaluate which transducers are appropriate for the application i have in mind and would be very greatful if someone here could comment on my guesses:

I need a broadband transducer that is capable to produce sound waves in a very broad range (200 Hz - 30khz) and with sound intensity around 60 db. It may be also possible to use different transducers for low and high frequencies. However, in order to do beamforming at a frequency of 30kHz the distance of the transducers must be around 5 cm. thus the transducer sizes must be quite small. (the most appropriate transducers i found were from the company benthowave, can anyone comment on this)

I would be very greatful if anyone could comment on the spezifications i have in mind.

best regards,

lost_in_space

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted