1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Arrhenius Equation - Chemical Kinetics

1. Aug 24, 2008 #1
    Hello everyone,

I am having trouble with determining where I erred in the following exercise. If someone could point out my mistake, I would appreciate the help.

Thank you!

---

1. The decomposition of N2O5 has an activation energy of 103 kJ/mol and a frequency factor of [tex] 4.3E13 s^-1 [/tex]. What is the rate constant for this decomposition at 20°C?

---

I simply substituted the given values into the Arrhenius Equation (omitting units to save time in typing):

[tex] k = Ae^{\frac{-E_a}{RT}}[/tex]

[tex] k = 4.3E13 \times e^{\cfrac{-103}{8.314 \times 293 K}}[/tex]

[tex] k = 4.1E13 1/s[/tex]

---

However, the given answer is:
    1.9E-5 1/s

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2008 #2
    Are you *sure* you're using the right units, since you omitted them in your original post? What units are you using for the gas constant? Activation energy? Temperature?

I would go back and check them again.

P.S. - I think these sorts of questions belong in the Homework Help section (even if it's not technically a homework question, it very strongly resembles one, at least IMO.)

4. Aug 24, 2008 #3
    Thanks for your reply, Mike H.

I apologise; I didn't realise that this was the correct forum. If someone could please move this to the Homework Help section, that would be appreciated.

I have rewritten my work with units:

[tex] k = 4.3E13 \frac{1}{s} \times e^{\cfrac{-103 \frac{kJ}{mol}}{8314 \frac{kJ}{K mol} \times 293 K}}[/tex]

[tex] k = 4.3E13 \frac{1}{s} [/tex]

I get a different answer, but one that is still incorrect.

5. Aug 24, 2008 #4

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor
    2015 Award

R is 8.314J K-1 mol-1 = 0.008314 kJ K-1 mol-1.

[edit: thanks GCT]

Last edited: Aug 24, 2008
  6. Aug 24, 2008 #5

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You're one decimal place off.

7. Aug 24, 2008 #6
    Thank you very much for your help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?