Arstechnica on Cats and History

• Thread starter jedishrfu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    History
In summary, cats are considered an extreme outlier among domestic animals due to their independent and wild nature, in contrast to the trend of breeding for cuteness and disabilities seen in other domestic animals like dogs. The expansion of the domestic cat may have been influenced by their cultural usage, including the trade of cat pelts as cloth items in Medieval Europe. This is evidenced by the recent discovery of cat remains in Viking graves. Additionally, the Scottish Fold breed of cats, known for their cute floppy ears, has been found to have a higher likelihood of painful health problems due to the way their cartilage develops.
Biology news on Phys.org
Likes 1oldman2
Here's another article on the subject, I wasn't aware that Cats were a fashion statement in Medieval Europe.
"The expansion of the domestic cat may have been fostered by a diversification in their cultural usage, which in Medieval Europe included the trade of domestic cat pelts as cloth items"
http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017...may-have-given-cats-personality-conquer-world

fresh_42 said:
It's decided. I will withstand the temptation of traveling to the future. What a terrific imagination drawn at the end of this article. The reason I love cats is their wilderness and independence and not their fluffiness. The thought of a cat like a golden retriever frightens me, despite the fact I like these dogs.
I've recently read about the Scottish Fold breed of cats. It has these cute floppy ears due to how its cartilage develops, but it comes at the cost of high likelihood of painful health problems. Cat breeding is definitely already going in the cute-yet-disabled direction, just as it did with dogs.

1. What is the connection between cats and history on Arstechnica?

Cats have been a part of human history for thousands of years, and Arstechnica explores the various ways in which cats have impacted and been impacted by historical events. From ancient civilizations to modern times, cats have played a significant role in shaping our world.

2. How does Arstechnica on Cats and History approach the topic?

Arstechnica takes a scientific approach to the topic, analyzing historical evidence and research to uncover the true impact of cats on history. They also explore the cultural significance of cats in different societies and how they have been represented in art and literature throughout history.

3. What are some interesting facts about cats and history that can be found on Arstechnica?

One interesting fact is that cats were worshipped in ancient Egypt and were even mummified alongside their human owners. Another is that cats were used on ships by sailors to control rodent populations, leading to their spread around the world. Arstechnica also delves into the role of cats in witch trials and their association with superstitions.

4. Are there any controversies surrounding cats and history that are discussed on Arstechnica?

Yes, there have been debates about the impact of cats on local ecosystems, as they were introduced to different regions by humans and have had a significant impact on native wildlife. Arstechnica explores these controversies and provides evidence for both sides of the argument.

5. How can learning about cats and history on Arstechnica benefit us?

Studying the history of cats can help us understand their behavior and relationship with humans today. It also sheds light on our own history and how cats have influenced and been influenced by human societies. Additionally, learning about cats in a historical context can be fascinating and entertaining, providing a new perspective on these beloved animals.