[ASK] polynomial f(x) divided by (x - 1)

• MHB
  • Thread starter Monoxdifly
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Polynomial
In summary, the polynomial f(x) = 2x^3-5x^2+ax+18 is divisible by (x - 3) and the value of a is -9. However, when divided by (x - 1), the resulting polynomial is x^2-3x+6 with a remainder of 6. This contradicts the fact that a polynomial divisible by (x - 3) should also be divisible by (x - 1). The error may lie in the original question or in the calculation process.
Monoxdifly
MHB
A polynomial f(x) = \(\displaystyle 2x^3-5x^2+ax+18\) is divisible by (x - 3). The result of that polynomial f(x) divided by (x - 1) is ...
A. \(\displaystyle 2x^2-7x+2\)
B. \(\displaystyle 2x^2+7x-2\)
C. \(\displaystyle 2x^2-7x-2\)
D. \(\displaystyle x^2-6x-2\)
E. \(\displaystyle x^2-6x+3\)

I got a + 3 = -6 and so a = -9 and f(x) = \(\displaystyle 2x^3-5x^2-9x+18\), but when I divided it with x - 1 I got \(\displaystyle x^2-3x+6\) with the remainder 24. I'm quite sure that the question isn't wrong since it's in a national level exam, but where did I go wrong?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Monoxdifly said:
A polynomial f(x) = \(\displaystyle 2x^3-5x^2+ax+18\) is divisible by (x - 3).

If a polynomial is divisible by $(x-k)$, then $f(k) = 0$

$f(3) = 0 \implies a = -9 \implies f(1) = 6$

$f(1) \ne 0 \implies f(x)$ is not divisible by $(x-1)$.

My opinion is there is an error in the question somewhere.

Synthetic Division does some useful things.

Code:
3 |  2  -5    a       18
         6    3     3a + 9
-------------------------
     2   1  a+3      3a+27 = 0 ==> a = -9

1 |  2  -5    -9      18
         2    -3     -12
-------------------------
     2  -3   -12      6

And thus we see: $2x^{2} - 3x - 12 + \dfrac{6}{x-1}$

How did you get only x^2, instead of 2x^2? Something wrong there.

1. What is polynomial division?

Polynomial division is the process of dividing one polynomial by another polynomial to find a quotient and remainder.

2. Why is it important to divide polynomials?

Dividing polynomials helps us simplify complex expressions and solve equations involving polynomials.

3. How do you divide a polynomial by (x - 1)?

To divide a polynomial by (x - 1), we use the long division method. We divide the first term of the polynomial by (x - 1) and multiply the result by (x - 1). Then, we subtract this product from the original polynomial and continue the process until we reach a remainder of 0.

4. What is the significance of dividing a polynomial by (x - 1)?

Dividing a polynomial by (x - 1) helps us determine the roots or solutions of the polynomial. The remainder obtained after division is equal to the value of the polynomial at x = 1, which is also known as the constant term.

5. Can a polynomial be divided by (x - 1) if the degree of the polynomial is greater than 1?

Yes, a polynomial can be divided by (x - 1) even if the degree of the polynomial is greater than 1. However, the remainder may not be a constant term and may involve powers of x.