ASME compliance in Pressure Vessel design

In summary: It depends on the material and geometry of the vessel. You would need to contact ASME for more information.
Shady99
Summary:: Hello i have a question regarding pressure vessel design.

As per the required operating parameters for a pressure vessel, i have calculated the sheet thickness for the shell to be 4 mm and base plate thickness to be 25mm. These results are based on ASME calculations and ansys.Both ways results are same.

However if you support the base plate from the bottom by means of civil embedment,the requirement of thickness for base plate goes down to 4mm.These results are based on Ansys only.
The question is that if i support the pressure vessel from the bottom by means of civil embedment and use 4mm thickness for base plate,can i quote that my pressure vessel is ASME compliant??

[Mentor Note: Two duplicate threads have been merged into this one]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I have been asked to analyse a flat bottom open end vessel on PV elite. The vessel is placed on tiled floor at ground level.
The question is that "is there a way to introduce concrete support under the flat bottom of the vessel i have modeled in PV Elite"

You should really check with ASME about that.

Likes berkeman
jrmichler said:
A pressure vessel is only built to ASME standards if both the design is according to the ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code and it is manufactured by an ASME certified process. Here's a place to start: https://www.asme.org/certification-accreditation/boiler-and-pressure-vessel-certification.

Claiming ASME compliance without the documentation and certification can get you into big trouble.
just keeping the discussion to design phase. i am using PV elite for designing the vessel as per ASME. Is it a good approach, considering PV elite software does the required ASME checks. Basically instead of going through all the ASME code i am using PV elite

The Boiler & Pressure Vessel Code was one of the earliest industrial codes developed and it is strictly enforced. It is strictly enforced, and violation can put the builder out of business. It is all about safety, and no compromise is allowed. I've never heard of PV elite, and I would not be surprised if ASME as not heard of it either. A vessel either meets the code, or it does not; it is pretty cut and dried.

Likes anorlunda
Shady99 said:
Summary:: Hello i have a question regarding pressure vessel design.

can i quote that my pressure vessel is ASME compliant??
One would have to refer to the relevant section of ASME BPV code and have followed the guidance with respect to stress calculations. One cannot simply use a piece of software and declare ASME compliant. One would have to go through a software verification process, then a calculation verification process, and demonstrate that the calculation approach and results are consistent with a specific section of the code for the PV material (code case) and design geometry. Only someone certified/licensed to the ASME BPV code could determine a certification.

Likes pbuk
Shady99 said:
Summary:: How to add concrete support in PV Elite

I have been asked to analyse a flat bottom open end vessel on PV elite. The vessel is placed on tiled floor at ground level.
The question is that "is there a way to introduce concrete support under the flat bottom of the vessel i have modeled in PV Elite"
Is this a homework assignment?

Astronuc said:
Is this a homework assignment?
yes kind of

Shady99 said:
yes kind of
I will move it to the schoolwork forums for you now.

Shady99 said:
yes kind of
i have to calculate the thickness as per ASME of an open head,flat bottom vessel that is supposed to hold water. the size of the vessel shud be 1000mm in dia and 1000mm high

Shady99 said:
i have to calculate the thickness as per ASME of an open head,flat bottom vessel that is supposed to hold water. the size of the vessel shud be 1000mm in dia and 1000mm high
Is it strictly storage, i.e., fixed in place, or will it be movable/transportable? What does the ASME BPV code indicate with respect to the design/geometry? Butt-welded seam on the bottom?

I'm thinking the design is similar to a 55-gallon (208 l) drum, open at the top.
A 200-litre drum (known as a 55-gallon drum in the United States and a 44-gallon drum in the United Kingdom) is a cylindrical container with a nominal capacity of 200 litres (55 US or 44 imp gal). The exact capacity varies by manufacturer, purpose, or other factors. Standard drums have inside dimensions of 572 millimetres (22.5 in) diameter and 851 millimetres (33.5 in) height. These dimensions yield a volume of about 218.7 litres (57.8 US gal; 48.1 imp gal), but they are commonly filled to about 200 litres.

The outside dimensions of a 200-litre drum are typically 584 millimetres (23 in) diameter at the top or bottom rim, 597 millimetres (23.5 in) diameter at the chines (ridges around drum), and 876 millimetres (34.5 in) height. Exact dimensions are specified in ANSI MH2.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drum_(container)#International_standard_size

Astronuc said:
Is it strictly storage, i.e., fixed in place, or will it be movable/transportable? What does the ASME BPV code indicate with respect to the design/geometry? Butt-welded seam on the bottom?

I'm thinking the design is similar to a 55-gallon (208 l) drum, open at the top.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drum_(container)#International_standard_size
it is storage vessel,butt seam weld...supposed to be cylinderical vessel

Shady99 said:
it is storage vessel,butt seam weld...supposed to be cylindrical vessel
What does the BPV code indicate? One has mentioned already a 'civil embedment' such as earth/sand or concrete. But if one is making a drum, which can be moved, that is a little different than a tank, which is fixed. Sitting on a slab, is different than sitting on a ring or legs.

Astronuc said:
What does the BPV code indicate? One has mentioned already a 'civil embedment' such as earth/sand or concrete. But if one is making a drum, which can be moved, that is a little different than a tank, which is fixed. Sitting on a slab, is different than sitting on a ring or legs.
dont have ASME knowhow...its a vessel placed on ground which is not supposed to move

Shady99 said:
dont have ASME knowhow...its a vessel placed on ground which is not supposed to move
Shady99 said:
The question is that if i support the pressure vessel from the bottom by means of civil embedment and use 4mm thickness for base plate,can i quote that my pressure vessel is ASME compliant??
Certainly, without knowledge of the ASME BPV code, one would not be able to make a valid statement about compliance with the code. One should look at the requirements on stresses, including bending stresses, as well as primary and secondary stresses and compare to code limits. Weld geometry, plate thickness and yield strength are design inputs.

Shady99 said:
i have to calculate the thickness as per ASME of an open head, flat bottom vessel that is supposed to hold water. the size of the vessel shud be 1000mm in dia and 1000mm high
Is an open container 1,000mm in diameter and 1,000mm high a pressure vessel?

It cannot be pressurised apart from the hydraulic pressure of the liquid content. https://www.inspection-for-industry.com/pressure-vessel-definition.html says

Based on the ASME Code Section VIII, pressure vessels are containers for the containment of pressure, either internal or external.

This pressure may be obtained from an external source or by the application of heat from a direct or indirect source, or any combination thereof.

It strikes me it is just a container. It looks like you are being asked to use the code for your metal sizing but that does not mean you are designing a pressure vessel.

Also, metal properties are just one of the factors in pressure vessel design. Of critical importance are welds and openings into the pressure vessel walls; and stress raisers caused by changes of section, corners etc.

As an aside, I am surprised that you calculate a wall thickness of 4mm and a base thickness of 25mm. Why are they so different? As a first approximation (sanity check) I would expect both to be about the same. Think about a central heating oil tank or a domestic hot water cylinder. Have you ever seen one with a base one inch thick?

Think about an above ground swimming pool made of plastic sheeting.

pool.jpg

Last edited:

What is ASME compliance in Pressure Vessel design?

ASME compliance in Pressure Vessel design refers to following the standards and guidelines set by the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) for the design, fabrication, and inspection of pressure vessels. These standards ensure the safety and reliability of pressure vessels used in various industries.

Why is ASME compliance important in Pressure Vessel design?

ASME compliance is important in Pressure Vessel design because it ensures the safety of the vessel and the people working with it. Non-compliance can lead to accidents, injuries, and even fatalities. Following ASME standards also helps to meet legal and regulatory requirements, and ensures the quality and reliability of the pressure vessel.

What are the key components of ASME compliance in Pressure Vessel design?

The key components of ASME compliance in Pressure Vessel design include design and construction requirements, materials selection, fabrication and welding processes, non-destructive examination techniques, pressure testing, and documentation. These components ensure the pressure vessel is designed, fabricated, and inspected in accordance with ASME standards.

How can I ensure ASME compliance in Pressure Vessel design?

To ensure ASME compliance in Pressure Vessel design, it is important to follow the ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code (BPVC) and any relevant standards, such as ASME Section VIII for pressure vessels. This involves using approved materials, following approved fabrication and welding procedures, conducting proper inspections and testing, and maintaining accurate documentation.

What are the consequences of non-compliance with ASME standards in Pressure Vessel design?

Non-compliance with ASME standards in Pressure Vessel design can have serious consequences, including safety hazards, legal and regulatory penalties, and damage to a company's reputation. It can also lead to costly repairs, replacements, and downtime. It is important to ensure ASME compliance to avoid these consequences and ensure the safety and reliability of pressure vessels.