Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Asymmetrical charged parallel plates capacitor

1. Aug 8, 2014 #1
    If i have a parallel plates capacitor , where the plates have different charges , eg, one plate has 1 C of charge and the other is neutral , what's the potential difference? what if i grounded the neutral plate , will it gain 1 C of charge?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 8, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What normally happens when a charged conductor is brought close to an uncharged conductor... and then you earth the uncharged conductor?

4. Aug 8, 2014 #3
    yea, just like charging by induction , but about the charge i use to find out the V using CV=Q , should i use the mean of the sum of the absolute values of both charges?

5. Aug 8, 2014 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There's a fairly decent description here:
    http://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/101116/capacitor-with-different-charges-on-each-plate

If you sketch out the situation - careful to draw the plates as having a thickness - you should see how to deal with it.
    The "top" plate has a single row of +++++ across the lower surface, there's a gap, and the bottom plate has a row of ------- (minuses) along the top and ++++++ along the bottom. What does that look like to you?

If you ground the bottom plate, you get rid of the ++++ on the bottom.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted