Asymmetrical charged parallel plates capacitor

1. If i have a parallel plates capacitor , where the plates have different charges , eg, one plate has 1 C of charge and the other is neutral , what's the potential difference? what if i grounded the neutral plate , will it gain 1 C of charge?

2. jcsd
  3. Simon Bridge

Simon Bridge 15,282
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What normally happens when a charged conductor is brought close to an uncharged conductor... and then you earth the uncharged conductor?

4. yea, just like charging by induction , but about the charge i use to find out the V using CV=Q , should i use the mean of the sum of the absolute values of both charges?

5. Simon Bridge

Simon Bridge 15,282
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There's a fairly decent description here:
    http://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/101116/capacitor-with-different-charges-on-each-plate

If you sketch out the situation - careful to draw the plates as having a thickness - you should see how to deal with it.
    The "top" plate has a single row of +++++ across the lower surface, there's a gap, and the bottom plate has a row of ------- (minuses) along the top and ++++++ along the bottom. What does that look like to you?

If you ground the bottom plate, you get rid of the ++++ on the bottom.

1 person likes this.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thead via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?

Draft saved Draft deleted