1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Asymptotes and holes

1. Oct 1, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the oblique asymptote and sketch the graph

2. Relevant equations
    f(x)=x^3+3x^2-x-5/x^2-1

3. The attempt at a solution

My question is that shouldnt there be a hole in the graph when x=-1 or 1? The denominator would end up being zero.

When should i be using an hole or when do i know it is an asymptote?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2011 #2

Mentallic

Homework Helper

If you have a rational function of the form [tex]f(x)=\frac{x-b}{x-a}[/tex] then there doesn't exist a hole in the function at x=a, instead there is a vertical asymptote at that point. You will have a hole in the function when it is of the form [tex]f(x)=\frac{(x-a)(x-b)}{x-a}[/tex] since this simplifies into the linear equation [tex]f(x)=x-b[/tex] but at x=a there is a hole.

So basically, if the fraction is of the form 0/0 at some point x=a, then it could be a hole (since x=a is a zero of both the numerator and denominator, you can factor out x-a from both and then cancel). If it is of the form a/0 for some non-zero a, then it is a vertical asymptote.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook