How can I find an outer expansion for f'(r) in this ODE?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding an approximation for f'(r) in a given equation using matched asymptotic expansions and the issues encountered in forming an outer expansion.
Chewie666
Ahoy!

I'm trying to approximate [itex]f'(r)[/itex] for the following equation using matched asymptotic expansions

[itex]-\frac{1}{2}\epsilon ff''=\left[\left(\epsilon+2r\right)f''\right]'[/itex]

where [itex]\epsilon \ll 1[/itex] and with the boundary conditions [itex] f(0)=f'(0)=0, \quad f'(\infty)=1[/itex]

The inner expansion which satisfies [itex] f'(0)=0[/itex] is simple enough by choosing an appropriate inner variable.

My problem is trying to form an outer expansion of the form

[itex] f'=1+\sigma(\epsilon) f_1+ \dots [/itex]

where [itex]\sigma[/itex] is found through matching. In my working I find [itex]f_i≈A_i\ln r[/itex] which obviously doesn't satisfy [itex]f'(\infty)=0[/itex] unless the constants equal zero.

I've tried introducing a stretched variable of the form [itex] \gamma =\epsilon r[/itex] but with no success.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
It is obvious from inspection that [itex]f(r) = r[/itex] is a solution of the full ODE for any [itex]\epsilon[/itex]. It satisfies [itex]f(0) = 0[/itex] and [itex]f'(\infty) = 1[/itex]. This suggests that higher order corrections to [itex]f(r) = r[/itex] are unnecessary, except in the boundary layer near the origin since [itex]f'(0) \neq 0[/itex]. This is consistent with your conclusion that the outer corrections must vanish.

1. What is an asymptotic expansion of an ODE?

An asymptotic expansion is a mathematical technique used to approximate the solution of an ordinary differential equation (ODE) at large values of the independent variable. It involves expressing the solution as a series of terms, with each term becoming increasingly negligible as the independent variable approaches infinity.

2. Why is an asymptotic expansion useful in solving ODEs?

An asymptotic expansion allows us to obtain an approximate solution to an ODE without having to solve it exactly, which can often be difficult or impossible. It is particularly useful for ODEs with complicated or non-elementary solutions, as it provides a simpler and more manageable approximation.

3. What is the difference between a finite and infinite asymptotic expansion?

A finite asymptotic expansion involves using a finite number of terms to approximate the solution of an ODE, while an infinite asymptotic expansion involves an infinite number of terms. In general, a finite expansion provides a less accurate approximation, but is easier to calculate, while an infinite expansion provides a more accurate approximation, but may be more computationally intensive.

4. Can an asymptotic expansion be used for any ODE?

No, an asymptotic expansion is not applicable to all ODEs. It is typically used for ODEs with a large parameter or variable that tends to infinity, and where the solution can be expressed as a series of terms. It may not be useful for ODEs with multiple independent variables or with solutions that do not behave asymptotically.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using an asymptotic expansion?

One limitation of using an asymptotic expansion is that it only provides an approximation of the solution, and may not accurately capture the behavior of the ODE at all values of the independent variable. Additionally, the accuracy of the approximation may be affected by the number of terms included in the expansion. In some cases, it may also be difficult to determine the appropriate number of terms to include in the expansion.