Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Asymptotic Expansion of ODE

1. Jul 8, 2013 #1
    Ahoy!

I'm trying to approximate [itex]f'(r)[/itex] for the following equation using matched asymptotic expansions

[itex]-\frac{1}{2}\epsilon ff''=\left[\left(\epsilon+2r\right)f''\right]'[/itex]

where [itex]\epsilon \ll 1[/itex] and with the boundary conditions [itex] f(0)=f'(0)=0, \quad f'(\infty)=1[/itex]

The inner expansion which satisfies [itex] f'(0)=0[/itex] is simple enough by choosing an appropriate inner variable.

My problem is trying to form an outer expansion of the form

[itex] f'=1+\sigma(\epsilon) f_1+ \dots [/itex]

where [itex]\sigma[/itex] is found through matching. In my working I find [itex]f_i≈A_i\ln r[/itex] which obviously doesn't satisfy [itex]f'(\infty)=0[/itex] unless the constants equal zero.

I've tried introducing a stretched variable of the form [itex] \gamma =\epsilon r[/itex] but with no success.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2013 #2

pasmith

Homework Helper

It is obvious from inspection that [itex]f(r) = r[/itex] is a solution of the full ODE for any [itex]\epsilon[/itex]. It satisfies [itex]f(0) = 0[/itex] and [itex]f'(\infty) = 1[/itex]. This suggests that higher order corrections to [itex]f(r) = r[/itex] are unnecessary, except in the boundary layer near the origin since [itex]f'(0) \neq 0[/itex]. This is consistent with your conclusion that the outer corrections must vanish.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook